Thread: ATI Video not working after Kernel Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ATI Video not working after Kernel Update

Yesterday after I installed the kernel update my ATI video was no longer functioning. At first I could get into ubuntu and gnome would load but I did not have any composite effects. I tried to reinstall the ATI driver from the ati.com website to no effect. Then I installed envyng and attempted to use that and now when I load ubuntu all I get in garbled and blurry screen.

I'm afraid I may have corrupted something along the way but do not know how to correct the issue.

Any help would be great!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ATI Video not working after Kernel Update

Yes, my ATI Catalyst 9.6 configuration was broken by a kernel update too (wish they'd warn new users about that).

Try uninstalling first, then make sure default GNOME support is OK, then try installing again:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205418#7

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by automaton26 View Post
    Yes, my ATI Catalyst 9.6 configuration was broken by a kernel update too (wish they'd warn new users about that).

Try uninstalling first, then make sure default GNOME support is OK, then try installing again:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205418#7
    Thanks for the help - now I am back in ubuntu and gnome has loaded successfully.

One question - I have envy installed and it still reports that the driver is installed and enabled. Should I not worry about envy and just reinstall the driver that I downloaded? Should I uninstall envy first?

Beans
    Distro

Well I went ahead and reinstalled the drivers that I downloaded and it is working now. Thanks for all the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wrwarwick View Post
    Well I went ahead and reinstalled the drivers that I downloaded and it is working now. Thanks for all the help!
    Hi. Well, everytime you make a kernel update you have to reinstall the ATI drivers. I don't know if it's the same with NVIDIA but what I usually do is, after a kernel update I restart the system and boot from the previous kernel. I reinstall the ATI drivers after that and go back to the new kernel =]