Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realtek RTL8192 Wireless is not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Realtek RTL8192 Wireless is not working

Hello All,

I have just bought a Samsung R522 which comes with the above card in it.

I have run lspci and it shows the following

02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8192 (rev 01)

Is there any way to get this card working with Jaunty?

Many thanks,

Mat

Beans

Re: Realtek RTL8192 Wireless is not working

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3539861

Different card, but manufactuerer, and same problem. Mine was eventually solved by upgrading to 9.04.

Beans
    Distro

That could be a problem - I'm running 9.04

Beans
    Distro

Is the 8192 the chipset or does it use a different one - if so does anyone know if an alternative could be used.

Also - Does anyone know if there are plans afoot to include support for this card in a forthcoming version of the kernel (pardon my ignorance - I'm trying to learn..)

I really want to use ubuntu on this laptop (dual boot with Windows 7 - simply for the use of Adobe Premiere Pro)

Cheers people.

Mat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Looks like it's being developed.

http://lwn.net/Articles/338063/

At the above linked page you'll scroll down to new device drivers, then down to Staging, and then near the end of that list you'll see RTL8192

sucks to be new...at least for awhile...

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LewRockwell View Post
    Looks like it's being developed.

http://lwn.net/Articles/338063/

At the above linked page you'll scroll down to new device drivers, then down to Staging, and then near the end of that list you'll see RTL8192

sucks to be new...at least for awhile...

Awesome! Although I thought that my RTL8192 was a PCI device - So does this mean that it if the Realtek RTL8192 USB wifi devices are being developed, then the PCI card will also work?

Beans

*bump*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lotharmat View Post
    Awesome! Although I thought that my RTL8192 was a PCI device - So does this mean that it if the Realtek RTL8192 USB wifi devices are being developed, then the PCI card will also work?
    drivers relate to the chipset moreso than the actual physical composition of the device itself, but it only makes sense to address the various devices which utilize those chipsets

hope that helps

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

read through this thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1190996

Beans

The new (mainline) kernel at kernel.org includes staging drivers for all variations of this card (rtl8192e, se, and u), kindly developed by (I believe) Greg Kroah-Hartman/the hard-working folks at the Linux Driver Project.

As of this writing (10.16.2009), the current mainline kernel source is 2.6.32-rc5. Compiling the kernel is not too hard and there are a number of helpful guides available online. Make sure you select the appropriate drivers when doing your configuration! Compilation takes a while and you don't want to wait an hour to find out you didn't include the drivers you need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast