Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tinychat.com

Beans

Re: tinychat.com

Quote Originally Posted by ethos101 View Post
    Your video devices aren't in a specific group. Do this:

sudo chgrp root:video /dev/video*

Then this: (replace "user" with your users name)

sudo usermod -G video user

That will do it so you don't have to start webcamstudio or firefox as root which would be a serious security risk.

I can't get sudo chgrp root:video /dev/video* to work at all, it says, "root:video group does not exist"

Which is odd because I'm looking at my groups now and I see it right below root... What's going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The correct syntax it seems (after looking it up, lol) is:
    sudo chgrp video /dev/video*

Odd that root:video worked for me and not you. Different version maybe?
    Make sure if the video group is capital (like "Video") then the chgrp should be Video as well.

Beans

Ah that vloopback problem. So here is how I do it, for WebcamStudio for GNU/Linux...

Once you're vloopback is installed, the next time it will be loaded, the security will be root:video. So it means that you have to be part of the video group.

In Ubuntu 9.10, the video group already exists, but it is hidden. The trick is to open "Users and Groups" from the System menu, unlock it, then edit properties of your user. In one of the tabs, you'll see a list of priviliges. One of them is for capturing from webcams and tuners. Make sure it is checked. Save everyting.

Now you have to quit your session and login again so the access will be granted.

No need to run Firefox as root or any other software.

That's it!

Patrick

Beans

I know this thread is kind of old, but after a week or two of tinkering I was finally able to get my cam working with tinychat.

Like many others, I was having trouble getting the cam to stay on after it was selected in tinychat's preview window. I found that by unplugging and replugging my webcam (Microsoft Lifecam v700) before opening WebCamStudio, I could finally get things outputting to vloopback. The trouble then, was that tinychat was still getting this garbled, deinterlaced mess on vloopback. So in WebCamStudio, I started tinkering with different output resolutions, and eventually discovered I could get the video to display normally with an output res on vloopback of 160*120. So, the input (/dev/video0) is 640*480, and the output is 160*120. It isn't the prettiest, but it's serviceable.

I'm going to continue to tinker and see if I can get higher output resolutions to work. Hope this helps someone. YMMV.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I probably won't get a reply but I figured, hey, it's worth a try. So when I broadcast for tinychat, everything goes fine up until the broadcast starts. Doesn't show a video feed, just sound. I'm still new at all this. But can anyone help? Thanks

Beans

read the whole post. its the solution to your problem.
    i havent tried it yet.. but going to this afternoon..

Beans

the core problem is:

flash on linux can't resize a webcam video!
    Proof:

mebeam.com: 2 person chat works. a 3rd person enters, the video images get resiuzed => your cam is stuck. Stop/start browser makes it work.

tinichat.com: the camera seletion shows a small preview. after enabling broadcasting it's sending a bigger sized stream => you cam is stuck. No solution as you always have to go through the thumbnail selection! Why does the vloopback cludge work? Probably because vloopback output is not resizable and flash simply takes what it gets.

Beans

Beans

Another bug sys: install newest beta of flashplayer! And it works.
    https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-4126
    I just overwrote the library.

So go and download on this page the RC4 of 10.1
    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Direct link: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._050510.tar.gz

open a shell and go to your download directory (eg the desktop):

Code:
    cd Desktop 
    tar xvzf flashplayer10_1_rc4_linux_050510.tar.gz
    sudo cp -p libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    restart firefox.
    Go to this url:
    Code:
    about:plugins
    and verify that it's now "10.1 r53"

Enjoy tinychat and many more video conferencing websites without unexplained lockups.
    Last edited by Georges; May 14th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

Beans

Uh, my mic isn't working with Tinychat. Well, I've been trying this, but nothing seems to be working. I've played with pulseaudio preferences, alsa, flash, installed stuff for a webcam I don't have... still nothing.And that didn't install the new flash player, just put it in a nice new directory.
    Last edited by ZazzyE; May 18th, 2010 at 01:41 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast