Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The reality... Linux isn't for everyone...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The reality... Linux isn't for everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    The only idiot-proof operating system is the one that involves not turning on the computer at all.
    Even safer: lock the computer away and prevent physical access. Now to come up with something that is Lisati-proof!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Most of the people I have introduced to Linux actually like it. Those who don't are gamers and/or people who are always upgrading hardware. Until hardware and software vendors support Linux 100% the only thing you can do is offer as much help as you can. If the person truly likes Linux they might be willing to live without certain features.
    The people who use their computers to surf the web, email, etc. actually
    make the switch a lot easier than you might think. Once people spend some time with it and realize that they don't have to worry about spyware, virus', defraging, and updating all of their programs individually, they become Linux users.
    I haven't used Windows on my personal computers since 2004. I am one of those people who find Linux to be less of a headache than Windows. Having said that I do try each Windows release and help quite a few people who run Windows on their computers. You have to explain what Linux can and cannot easy do. Reinstalling Windows every three months for someone who cannot understand basic security and maintenance does tend to get old though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    I have AT&T DSL and it works perfectly with whatever I throw at it freebsd, opensolaris, linux etc etc.
    Lucky you. I had to replace Ubuntu on four customer machines because the pppoe client would not authenticate properly and frequently dropped connection.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011