Thread: Sauerbraten wont load textures??

Beans

Sauerbraten wont load textures??

Has anyone had an issue with this? I can play the game just fine but the textures arent being loaded, which makes it look rather funny i must admit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Sauerbraten wont load textures??

Are you seeing errors about the textures when you load the game?

Make sure you're using the official version from cubeengine.com or sauerbraten.org. Then extract it to your home directory, which is easiest and avoids permission issues. When you start it, don't use sudo, just ./sauerbraten_unix (name might be incorrect since I can't check).

If you got it from GetDeb, make sure you have the sauerbraten-data package installed as well. I've never used those packages since they're known to cause issues like this. If you have that package installed and the problem doesn't go away, just get the official version to avoid any permission issues. You could try using sudo and see if the game loads the textures then, and if it does then it's an issue with the permissions and a reason you shouldn't use those packages (games don't need root access).

If you got it through Synaptic Package Manager or Add/Remove, you might as well uninstall that version since it's out of date. Old versions have more bugs, are missing features, and are incompatible with servers that are running the latest version. I don't know why that old package even exists; someone should either update it or remove it.

If you've got the real package from the official website (it's a tar.bz2 archive), and it's extracted in your home directory, but the problem still exists, I guess all you can do is check permissions on the game's data files located in the packages directory. For some reason they aren't able to be read by the game, so see that they're owned by you and you have permission to access them.
    Last edited by noerrorsfound; July 29th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.