Thread: Zsnes Crash

Beans

Zsnes Crash

This past time I installed Zsnes, I completely forgot about the fullscreen problem, and I left it on fullscreen to find that the next time I went to open it, it would simply crash. No big deal, I could just go find the zsnesw.cfg file and...

Well, NONE of the .cfg's are accessible to me. I've looked with the "Show Hidden Files" option on, and it's come to no avail. I uninstalled the debian package and tried to rebuild it from source, however, when I tried to install it, my terminal was INSISTENT upon reinstalling the existent Zsnes debian package and keeping its settings. -_- I've tried numerous ways to delete the package, etc., but it's all failed.

Some assistance would be invaluable.

Beans

Re: Zsnes Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy Goodness View Post
    This past time I installed Zsnes, I completely forgot about the fullscreen problem, and I left it on fullscreen to find that the next time I went to open it, it would simply crash. No big deal, I could just go find the zsnesw.cfg file and...

Well, NONE of the .cfg's are accessible to me. I've looked with the "Show Hidden Files" option on, and it's come to no avail. I uninstalled the debian package and tried to rebuild it from source, however, when I tried to install it, my terminal was INSISTENT upon reinstalling the existent Zsnes debian package and keeping its settings. -_- I've tried numerous ways to delete the package, etc., but it's all failed.

Some assistance would be invaluable.
    This doesn't really answer your issue regarding zsnes, but have you tried bsnes? It's available from playdeb.net, and (at least on my machine) works really well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    This doesn't really answer your issue regarding zsnes, but have you tried bsnes? It's available from playdeb.net, and (at least on my machine) works really well.
    All I've heard is that is only takes .sfc instead of .smc format. Everything I have is in .smc and I don't really trust myself with converting everything correctly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy Goodness View Post
    All I've heard is that is only takes .sfc instead of .smc format. Everything I have is in .smc and I don't really trust myself with converting everything correctly.
    There's a tool that handles all of that for you, called snespurify. It's pretty painless to use, and does all the work for you. You can read about it here. If it's not installed when you first install bsnes, you can get it by installing the "filthypants" repository maintained by hunter kaller. To do so, open a terminal and type the following:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hunter-kaller/ppa
    Follow the on-screen prompts. Then, to install snespurify, type the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install snespurify
    After it's installed, just type the following in a terminal:
    Code:
    snespurify
    ... and you're good to go.

Beans

Sweet, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi there,

bsnes
    Personally, I think there are lots of good reasons to still use zSNES. It seems to me that you only want to know where the configuration files are, correct? They're in .zsnes in your home directory.

On the issue of it crashing on startup, for me, it crashes if I try to start with fullscreen, but not if I start windowed and then make it fullscreen. The easiest way to do this is to run zsnes as:
    Code:
    zsnes -v 2
    -v is the video mode. Try 1 or 0 if 2 doesn't work. You could set a shortcut to this, too.

Beans

zNES is a very marvelous emulation software. It's implementation for old ill-flavored ports turned into a fun, and great emulation.

I still recommend this for anyone, its contingency will last forever!