Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VIDEO EDITING in Gnu/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

VIDEO EDITING in Gnu/Linux

Hi to all.

I'm having some problems with video editing il Gnu/Linux. It doesn't seem to be a very great choice in this field.

KDEnlive produces video clips without any audio (maybe a problem of mine)

LiVES seems to have some packaging problems
    http://lives.sourceforge.net/index.php?do=downloads

Jahshaka seems to be moved to CineFX but CineFX is not available/downloadable for Gnu/Linux
    http://www.cinefx.org/

PiTiVi is almost useless (no transitions, no effects etc etc)

Cinelerra will be transformed into Lumiera but they are taking very long time to code Lumiera: till then you should be happy with using Cinelerra with that very awful graphic interface

Blender does not seem to be very intuitive for basic video editing (haw can I add video/audio timelies?!?)

Avidemux easy to use but it has got no time line to mix video/audio tracks together with video/audio effects. Almost the same for HandBrake.

Kino does not seem to have a timeline as KDEnlive or Windows Movie Maker (I mean Kino has got a "Time Line" section but it doesn't seem to have the same meaning as in KDEnlive or Windows Movie Maker)

At the time of writing, it seems we can only hope that KDEnlive stops crashing in future releases, that OpenShotVideo will finally become an "official version", that Cinelerra will become "Lumiera" or change that f*cking awful graphical interface and so on...

Any other option, please?
    Regards.
    Last edited by manolomanolo; July 29th, 2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added comments on Avidemux, Handbrake, Kino

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: VIDEO EDITING in Gnu/Linux

Blender isn't a simple hobby application. Look to Richard Querin's site for a relatively quick get-up-and-running series of screencasts.

While I encourage you to experiment with the other apps out there, nothing will even come within a hair of the power of Blender.

http://blog.rfquerin.org/2009/01/26/...aybe-part-one/
    http://blog.rfquerin.org/2009/02/14/...diting-part-2/
    http://blog.rfquerin.org/2009/07/23/...reencast-no-3/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I recently tried to edit (extract clips) from a VRO file created by a Panasonic DVD recorder on DVD RAM. Blender, Cinelerra and Kdenlive all failed miserably. Kino might have worked but was in the process of creating an insanely large DV file on import so I gave up on it. I tried Avidemux which is really a transcoder but all I wanted was some simple trimming and extracting. The only issue I had with a Avidemux was the audio sync which I had to adjust manually for each extracted clip. So Avidemux is a useful gui tool even if just to convert to a format that the other editors handle properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I edit with Avidemux (if they are in the correct codec and file format) so you can also try those because it looks like you only tried Cinerella (for me I didn't like it), LiVES (Tried it but seemed really hard to understand) Pitivi the same. I haven't tried Jahashna but think it will be the same.

If you need to convert the videos to Avi for Avidemux, you will need Handbrake.

Beans
    Distro

Avidemux easy to use but it has got no time line to mix video/audio tracks together with video/audio effects.

Neither HandBrake is able to mix and add effects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: VIDEO EDITING in Gnu/Linux

kino is stable than other apps mentioned here
    --- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vinutux View Post
    kino is stable than other apps mentioned here
    Maybe it's stable, but Kino does not seem to have a timeline as KDEnlive or Windows Movie Maker. I mean Kino has got a "Time Line" section but it doesn't seem to have the same meaning as in KDEnlive or Windows Movie Maker, does it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: VIDEO EDITING in Gnu/Linux

Quote Originally Posted by manolomanolo View Post
    Maybe it's stable, but Kino does not seem to have a timeline as KDEnlive or Windows Movie Maker. I mean Kino has got a "Time Line" section but it doesn't seem to have the same meaning as in KDEnlive or Windows Movie Maker, does it?
    Ok but new pitivi does....but missing effects and translations.
    www.getdeb.net/app/PiTiVi

Home page - http://www.pitivi.org/wiki/Main_Page

--- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Beans

Blender is to a good Video Editor like the command line is to Gnome or KDE. All the power you could ever want if you ever actually have enough time to figure it all out.

KDEnlive seems to have the most potential, but I've never been able to do anything but crash it until I tried it on Kubuntu 9.04. Once I found a system it didn't crash on, it worked quite well. I didn't do a lot with audio, but sync seemed OK at least for the 5-10 minute clips I was playing with.

I suspect I'll dual boot into Windows 7 for video editing, nothing on Linux can match the ~$70 Sony Vegas Movie Studio software on Windows
    I'm still using an older version on Windows 2000, but the latest on Windows 7 RC1 will likely have me setting up a Win7 box for it once I upgrade to HD camcorder.

KDEnlive on Kubuntu 9.04 handled the 720P MJPEG from my Casio point and shoot without issues, but its not a real camcorder. I've no HDV or AVCHD source to test at present.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by wkulecz View Post
    Blender is to a good Video Editor like the command line is to Gnome or KDE. All the power you could ever want if you ever actually have enough time to figure it all out.

I suspect I'll dual boot into Windows 7 for video editing, nothing on Linux can match the ~$70 Sony Vegas Movie Studio software on Windows
    I'm still using an older version on Windows 2000, but the latest on Windows 7 RC1 will likely have me setting up a Win7 box for it once I upgrade to HD camcorder.
    A bit of an overstatement. Richard Querin's links above have already disproved this point. Unfortunately, the comments end up being inflammatory and probably dissuade people from learning an extremely powerful tool.

Blender blows away any 70$ editor. Honestly, dedicate yourself to learning it and you will probably agree. The nodal compositor is worth its weight in gold. Your biggest issue appears to be codecs. Perhaps myself or someone else can help you past that hiccup?

Quote Originally Posted by wkulecz View Post
    KDEnlive on Kubuntu 9.04 handled the 720P MJPEG from my Casio point and shoot without issues, but its not a real camcorder. I've no HDV or AVCHD source to test at present.
    Perhaps you should peruse the web and look at all of the innumerable problems with AVCHD and 24Pn pullup? It isn't just in Linux. In fact, it is all over in every platform. Many of the solutions are interestingly wrapped around mplayer and ffmpeg.

There just isn't an end all for everyone, but don't mix up codec management with an application's ability to cut. Anyone familiar with post production will spool off countless applications that live in the pipeline.

Hopefully we can work something out to help you out?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast