Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364

Thread: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Just installed vnc4server this morning and I had the same problem at first, I fixed it either by disabling ipv6 (cf above) or by commenting the last 4 lines in .vnc/xstartup (cf http://www.ehow.com/how_5089245_inst...er-ubuntu.html, even if the syntax is slightly different). Not sure because I tried both at the same time.

I'm running into another problem. When I'm logged out and try to connect via VNC (I want to be able to remotely connect while someone else is logged in...) I get
    Code:
    Authentication to host [myhost] has failed (No password configured for VNC Auth).
    . I simply have to ssh to the machine, not even do anything else, then it works (and I can kill the ssh terminal, doesn't matter, after I'm logged in I don't need to be logged in via ssh anymore). Somehow it looks like if I don't have one session open on the computer, the password fails.
    Any way to avoid that?
    Thanks.

edit - actually, that's not totally true. If I close the ssh terminal I lose the possibility to control the desktop. For instance trying to launch a terminal, it hangs and never opens it, while if I'm still sshed in it shows up in a fraction of second...
    Last edited by kalyp; June 24th, 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Beans

> When I'm logged out and try to connect via VNC (I want to be able to remotely connect while someone else is logged in...) I get Authentication to host [myhost] has failed (No password configured for VNC Auth). I simply have to ssh to the machine, not even do anything else, then it works

Sounds like an encrypted home directory to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep that's what I figured out in between (forgot I had posted this). It also causes my autofs to stop mounting network shares into my home directory while I'm logged out and a session is running via VNC, which is obviously a problem when running scripts.

I need to un-encrypt my home directory, but since I'm away from the machine right now, I won't risk it until I'm back the ssh trick works well enough except that I can't switch off my computer...

I find it kind of annoying though, that encrypted home folders aren't accessible by remote VNC sessions if not logged in. I would have imagined that virtual sessions were just as good as "regular" ones...

Beans

Hello!
    I have a problem with vnc. I configured it like it was in how-to, got grey screen at first, but it solved after enabling xdmcp.
    Now I do see the login prompt, and I am able to login to system - but only if I set -geometry option of Xvnc to 640x480. On higher resolutions login prompt hangs after several seconds - on 800x600 it sometimes starts to render user names, on 1024x768 it is draws only the white box with machine name.

What could cause such behavior?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mök View Post
    > When I'm logged out and try to connect via VNC (I want to be able to remotely connect while someone else is logged in...) I get Authentication to host [myhost] has failed (No password configured for VNC Auth). I simply have to ssh to the machine, not even do anything else, then it works

Sounds like an encrypted home directory to me.
    I've found a simple solution for this problem.
    Login to your remote machine and create a screen session:
    Code:
    $ screen
    The from inside the screen session run vncserver:
    Code:
    $ vnc4server
    and open a ssh sesion to localhost
    Code:
    $ ssh localhost
    Next detach the screen by "CTRL+A" "d"
    Done
    Now the vnc accepts the connections without the ssh session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

oh wouah!! it works!! this is simply awesome. Not need to go through the un-encryption process anymore
    Thank you so much!

Beans

Forgive me if this there is an obvious solution to this, but I am new enough to linux that it isn't obvious to me.

First of all, thanks to everyone for all the tips here. I got everything set up with all of the advice and some thought and perseverance. I have a need for several folks to be able to log in to my machine with independent sessions for doing calculations that can take days to run, thus the need for resumable sessions. Having an ssh session doesn't work when the calculation running stops on logout.

The problem I'm having is that after a number of successful repeat logins to the same session, occasionally a user is getting locked out with a message at the VNC login stage saying "the server is already in use." He isn't logged in, so he isn't using the server. We aren't sure what is happening. I've searched the logs and cannot find anything unusual, other than the attempted logins. It is very frustrating, because thus far, I cannot find a way to get him in, other than to kill the vnc session and restart the servers which also kills the calcuations he has been running for days.

I'm running Lucid and have several vnc services set up on different ports with different users and passwords as outlined elsewhere in this thread. A copy of my Xvnc file is below for reference. Any thoughts on how to fix the problem will be most appreciated. As a second best advice, if you have an idea on how to restore my user's access without killing the session when he does get locked out, I could use that as a band-aid in the meantime while I continue to troubleshoot the root cause.

Thanks!
    Mark

Code:
    service vncshort
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = no
      user = nobody
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd -desktop mark-desktop -query localhost -geometry 1024x768  -once -depth 16 -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc -SecurityTypes=none
    }

service vncsticky1
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = yes
      user = root
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd :25 -desktop mark-desktop-staticvnc -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/etc/vncpasswd-somefile1
    }

service vncsticky2
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = yes
      user = root
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd :30 -desktop mark-desktop-staticvnc -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/etc/vncpasswd-somefile2
    }

service vncsticky3
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = yes
      user = root
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd :35 -desktop mark-desktop-staticvnc -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/etc/vncpasswd-somefile3
    }

service vncsticky4
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = yes
      user = root
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd :40 -desktop mark-desktop-staticvnc -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/etc/vncpasswd-somefile4
    }

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364