Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Tichondrius, I observed a strange thing. Afetr starting the xinetd service, If I issue the command

$ vncviewer localhost:0

I am getting the current desktop screen but not the login screen which I obtained last time by issuing that big command.

Update : This occurred due to enabling ubuntu's built-in remote desktop feature. When I turn off this feature, the above command yields nothing. But still vncviewer localhost:1 gave the error msg. I thought if this remote desktop feature is interfering with the vncserver setup, but it's not the case.

Moreover, I should add that right now I am working in gnome desktop and my /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc file is exactly identical to the config. you alluded to in post #14. And still, the error msg. with vncviewer localhost:1. So using kDE desktop is not an issue. I shall follow method of elimination to pinpoint the trouble, if I can. If anybody else can help us, it will be really appreciated.

Kacheng, sorry, I could not help you since I am a novice in this regard but you can try to install the tightvnc java-client from the thread I linked to in my previous post. You need to enable ubuntu's built-in remote desktop so that it can work and of course if you are behind a router, you need to fwd those ports.
    Last edited by mssm; January 31st, 2006 at 08:39 PM.

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Tichondrius
    sudo /usr/bin/Xvnc :2 -query localhost -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc -dontdisconnect -nevershared -rfbauth /root/.vncpasswd

I too am trying this on AMD 64., Following this thread I get to this point and I all I get is

Segmentation Fault

Beans

mssm - thanks, I have no problem with using vnc and the remote desktop - even can tunnel over ssh. That works great.

However, at some point I'd really like to get the XDMCP working properly and have the ability to utilize several sessions. (e.g. two people logged in at the same time).

Beans

using a fresh install of 5.10. running

Code:
     sudo apt-get install vncserver xinetd
    yeilds me the following results:

Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package vnc4server
    what am I missing here? Do I need to add an additional installation source?

EDIT: I found the package in a different installation source. Open package manager, go to settings->repositories, clicked the 'community maintained' button.

vnc4server installed and works like a champ. Thanks!
    Last edited by CTD; February 3rd, 2006 at 04:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by kacheng
    mssm - thanks, I have no problem with using vnc and the remote desktop - even can tunnel over ssh. That works great.

However, at some point I'd really like to get the XDMCP working properly and have the ability to utilize several sessions. (e.g. two people logged in at the same time).
    Hi Kacheng,

Is there a How-To for tunnelling VNC over SSH? Some pointers would help a lot ... thanks

Beans

Yes, you are suipposed to enable the extra repositories because vnc4server is from the universe repository which is not enabled by default.

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu#Ho...a_repositories

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hey guys,

ive installed vnc and it works fine...on one machine, while on the other, always the same breezy badger 5.10 installation, all i get is grey screen when i log onto vnc....
    i mean....the server is obviously running, and i can access it from outside...but when i connect all i see is grey screen instead of my ubuntu desktop....what could this be?

Gorazd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CosMix
    Hey guys,

ive installed vnc and it works fine...on one machine, while on the other, always the same breezy badger 5.10 installation, all i get is grey screen when i log onto vnc....
    i mean....the server is obviously running, and i can access it from outside...but when i connect all i see is grey screen instead of my ubuntu desktop....what could this be?

Gorazd
    Hi cosmix, good to learn that you are running vnc on one machine? Did you follow Tichondrius's how-to? Are you behind a router? I am still trying hard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxfan
    Hi Kacheng,

Is there a How-To for tunnelling VNC over SSH? Some pointers would help a lot ... thanks

Yes here's one:

http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/

There are many others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kacheng
    Yes here's one:

http://pigtail.net/LRP/vnc/

There are many others.
    Hi Kacheng, thanks for the link and thanks for your appreciation before.

I found that freenx is much smoother less jerky and easy to install than vnc. Moreover, it supports vnc too. There is no headache for port opening and forwarding, since it uses standard ssh port and hence the whole session can be encrypted. So I switched to freenx. I followed this thread :

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=97277

Good luck!

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast