Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

change this line from '/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc' to '/usr/share/fonts
    /X11/misc'.

Repeat step 5. then execute below(at terminal):

'vncserver'

It worked for me. Please, let me know comments.

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

[quote=Tichondrius;688683]From your description it seems that after the reboot xinetd is listening on port 5901 and the setup is correct.

xinetd is supposed to start Xvnc as soon as it gets an incoming connection from a VNC client.

I assume you copied /etc/xined.d/Xvnc exactly from this howto without changing anything, right ? if so, then maybe the fact you are using the old vnc sever (version 3.x) is related because it might not support some of the arguments ?

After you start the vncviewer, xinetd should spwan Xvnc with the arguments specified in the Xvnc file we created in step 3. So immediately after starting vncviewer (and even before entering the vnc password), you can check the Xvnc started by issueing this command:

Code:
    ps -ef | grep Xvnc
    This should show something like this:

If it doesn't work it means that Xvnc wasn't started. So in that case I would suggest to try starting Xvnc manually (not from within xinetd) just to make sure it can run at all (we will use screen :2 so it doesn't overlap with the original Xvnc):

[code]sudo Xvnc :2 -query localhost -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd}

I tried above command but i have

Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.1
    Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
    See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
    Underlying X server release 70000000, The X.Org Foundation

Thu Dec 3 10:04:42 2009
    vncext: VNC extension running!
    vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5902
    vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
    error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
    could not open default font 'fixed'

I could not understand what could be the problem ?

Beans

Okay, after trials and tribulations I think I've got it setup right.

Code:
    root@hostname:~# sudo netstat -tap | grep xinetd
    tcp        0      0 *:5901                  *:*                     LISTEN      7047/xinetd
    root@hostname:~# vncserver

New 'hostname:5 (root)' desktop is hostname:5

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
    Log file is /root/.vnc/hostname:5.log

root@hostname:~# vncviewer localhost:1
    Error: Can't open display:
    I figure the last error is because I'm accessing my server via SSH?

However, when I open up VNC viewer on windows and try to connect I get a 'Connection Refused' error
    Last edited by auraithx; January 22nd, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Beans

I had this working fine (with a few tweaks here and there, as noted throughout this thread) on jaunty. I've moved to Lucid and it seems there's no hope of getting a remote desktop connection to my PC unless I've already logged in - quite useless on a headless machine.

I've been trying for some time to get this working on lucid. I didn't upgrade to karmic for this, but I took the plunge to lucid now determined to get this to work. I can't be the only one trying to do this. The one that comes with ubuntu is horrible, lacks any configuration options, and doesn't work if 1: you're running headless, or 2: you're not already logged in. To boot, my desktop has a 22inch and 19inch monitor. A 2000(something)x1050 VNC session with the full colors is hardly responsive.

Isn't there anyone here who is doing this on ubuntu? I mean, if I wanted to have a console-only server, with all due respect, I would be using a bsd, or at least some other form of linux than ubuntu...

At this point, I don't care if I have to login to ssh first, which sucks as I need to ssh to the router before hand (running openbsd, and refreshingly, well documented btw... very frustrated with lack of documentation so far) and run a handful of commands to get a remote desktop. Not ideal, but it would be a start.

Big fail for ubuntu if even jumping through hoops doesn't get you a useable remote desktop.

Beans

Lucid Lynx: Works out of the box with very little work!

I'll do a sum up of all options required to make VNC over XDMCP managed log in session displaying X11 applications on a perfectly fresh Lucid Lynx.

On Port 5920 you'll get a dynamic login session, that means, several clients can connect to this vnc port, getting a gdm login and a session running as long as the window is open. Closing the window is synonymous for logging out or killing your window manager. Very convenient to allow for "lots of normal users" to log into a computer at once.

On Port 5925 you'll get a static login session, one person can connect and works on a persistant screen which keeps its data between disconnects. Very helpful for administration purposes.

Code:
    aptitude install vnc4server xinetd
    vncpasswd /etc/vncpasswd-semipublic
    edit /etc/services and add something like

Code:
    vnc1024         5920/tcp
    SV1024          5925/tcp
    create /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc containing something like:

Code:
    root@boni:/etc/gdm# cat /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc
    service vnc1024
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = no
      user = nobody
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd -desktop boni-loginvnc-1024 -query localhost -geometry 1024x768  -once -depth 16 -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc -SecurityTypes=none
    }

service SV1024
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = yes
      user = root
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd :25 -desktop boni-staticvnc-1024 -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/etc/vncpasswd-semipublic
    }
    next create or edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf:
    edit: I insert jocko_johnson settings here, they avoid several problems.

Code:
    [daemon]
    [security]
    DisallowTCP=false
    [xdmcp]
    Enable=true
    HonorIndirect=false
    #following line fixes a problem with login/logout
    DisplaysPerHost=2
    MaxSessions=16
    [greeter]
    [chooser]
    [debug]
    Enable=true
    You might try creating /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy but I think it might be useless/harmful:

Code:
    version-1 

# $Xorg: SecurityPolicy,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:47:56 cpqbld Exp $

# The site policy fields are interpreted by the XC-QUERY-SECURITY-1
    # authorization protocol.  The values are arbitrary and site-specific.
    # Refer to the Security Extension Specification for the usage of the policies.
    #sitepolicy A
    #sitepolicy B
    #sitepolicy C

# Property access rules:
    # property <property> <window> <permissions>
    # <window> ::= any | root | <propertyselector>
    # <propertyselector> ::= <property> | <property>=<value>
    # <permissions> :== [ <operation> | <action> | <space> ]*
    # <operation> :== r | w | d
    #	r	read
    #	w	write
    #	d	delete
    # <action> :== a | i | e
    #	a	allow
    #	i	ignore
    #	e	error

# Allow reading of application resources, but not writing.
    property RESOURCE_MANAGER	root	ar iw
    property SCREEN_RESOURCES	root	ar iw

# Ignore attempts to use cut buffers.  Giving errors causes apps to crash,
    # and allowing access may give away too much information.
    property CUT_BUFFER0	root	irw
    property CUT_BUFFER1	root	irw
    property CUT_BUFFER2	root	irw
    property CUT_BUFFER3	root	irw
    property CUT_BUFFER4	root	irw
    property CUT_BUFFER5	root	irw
    property CUT_BUFFER6	root	irw
    property CUT_BUFFER7	root	irw

# If you are using Motif, you probably want these.
    property _MOTIF_DEFAULT_BINDINGS	root	ar iw
    property _MOTIF_DRAG_WINDOW	root	ar iw
    property _MOTIF_DRAG_TARGETS	any 	ar iw
    property _MOTIF_DRAG_ATOMS	any 	ar iw
    property _MOTIF_DRAG_ATOM_PAIRS	any 	ar iw

# If you are running CDE you also need these
    property _MOTIF_WM_INFO		root	arw
    property TT_SESSION		root	irw
    property WM_ICON_SIZE		root	irw
    property "SDT Pixel Set"	any	irw

# The next two rules let xwininfo -tree work when untrusted.
    property WM_NAME	any	ar

# Allow read of WM_CLASS, but only for windows with WM_NAME.
    # This might be more restrictive than necessary, but demonstrates
    # the <required property> facility, and is also an attempt to
    # say "top level windows only."
    property WM_CLASS	WM_NAME	ar

# These next three let xlsclients work untrusted.  Think carefully
    # before including these; giving away the client machine name and command
    # may be exposing too much.
    property WM_STATE	WM_NAME	ar
    property WM_CLIENT_MACHINE	WM_NAME	ar
    property WM_COMMAND	WM_NAME	ar

# To let untrusted clients use the standard colormaps created by
    # xstdcmap, include these lines.
    property RGB_DEFAULT_MAP	root	ar
    property RGB_BEST_MAP	root	ar
    property RGB_RED_MAP	root	ar
    property RGB_GREEN_MAP	root	ar
    property RGB_BLUE_MAP	root	ar
    property RGB_GRAY_MAP	root	ar

# To let untrusted clients use the color management database created
    # by xcmsdb, include these lines.
    property XDCCC_LINEAR_RGB_CORRECTION	root	ar
    property XDCCC_LINEAR_RGB_MATRICES	root	ar
    property XDCCC_GRAY_SCREENWHITEPOINT	root	ar
    property XDCCC_GRAY_CORRECTION	root	ar

# To let untrusted clients use the overlay visuals that many vendors
    # support, include this line.
    property SERVER_OVERLAY_VISUALS	root	ar
    additional infos:

-sometimes you have to add "-extension XFIXES" to /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc at "server_args".
    -if telnet <system> 5920 fails with "can't connect" then you xinetd doesn't work
    -if telnet <system> 5920 closes fast or your VNC client reports "unknown Plugin/whatever" then your X "-extension XFIXES" must be changed.
    -if telnet <system> 5920 hangs completely try restarting your system
    -if your vnc session is showing nothing except the default X11 pattern then your gdm isn't listening, see /etc/gdm/custom.conf
    -always check /var/log/syslog
    -change the resolutions in /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc with -geometry
    -there you'll also find color depth, depth 16 sometimes falls back to depth 8 with a 233 mapping, ugly colors result. Try using depth 8 "flat color" or "color tables" (TODO) or depth 24 which might work better or worse. Your milage may vary.
    -play around with vncconfig for copy-and-paste and other nifty stuff.

About me: I think I have been one of the very first users getting a XDM/GDM-Login over VNC, a long time ago, before Xvnc, sometimes around 1999, running SuSE 6.3. Most nowadays FAQs are more or less based on my old FAQ. So if you have a question I might be the best person to ask - though I must admit that a lot of things have changed, a lot more since Ubuntu8.04 than all the time before, lots of configs have totally changed or changed position, patches no longer working and so on. Therefore I would suggest to make this topic a new one.
    Last edited by Crass Spektakel; January 2nd, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

Wow, thanks for the feedback. While your point about starting a new thread is valid, I think many people still come to this thread, and it's worthwhile to update this. Once I have a fully documented process, I'll gladly start up a new thread as a reliable Howto for lucid (and really, gdm > 2.28 ).

Your post motivated me. Likely due to everything I had been tinkering with, and likely why nothing was working anymore when I decided to post this, I couldn't get this to work at first. I figured, it's a 4-day old install, I hadn't even restored backups, so I decided to reinstall ubuntu-server. My experience is summarized below. I'm hoping you can lend a helping hand. I'm a bsd sysadmin by trade, I never really used X for anything, so I know very little of it. I just know enough to know doing it within the confines of what's available ported to BSD is painful

==========

Post reinstall, it still didn't work at first. My needs don't require two vnc server sessions running, I went with one based on my needs. No matter what I did, xfixes there or not, restart gdm, it wouldn't go. Tried matching more closely yours (the second of the two), still didn't work.

So next, I tried using your exact /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc file (besides obvious necessary changes to reflect my system), only one service would start, the other would (quietly) fail. Consistently, the one setup to run as nobody would not start up. Changing the "wait" to yes and user to root did not help this. Interestingly though, the second one suddenly worked (after putting the two services, prior to any modifications)! I have no explanation for this, but one would be nice, as it would help understand more what's going on. Here is what the /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc file looks like now (/etc/services reflects screen numbers used). I can access the "service vncbig" using this. Regardless if I used -extension XFIXES or not, the first one would time out on telnet instantly, as you'll see below the snippet from my syslog

Code:
    service vncsmall
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = no
      user = nobody
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
    server_args = -inetd -desktop zeus-1024x768 -query localhost -geometry \
    1100x800  -once -depth 15 -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc \
    -SecurityTypes=none -extension XFIXES
    }

service vncbig
    {
      disable = no
      socket_type = stream
      protocol = tcp
      wait = yes
      user = root
      server = /usr/bin/Xvnc4
      server_args = -inetd :5 -desktop zeus-HiQ -query localhost -geometry \
    1280x1024 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ \
    -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared -SecurityTypes=none
    }
    From syslog:

May 5 21:11:15 zeus xinetd[20950]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service = vncbig
    May 5 21:11:15 zeus xinetd[20950]: Service vncbig failed to start and is deactivated.
    May 5 21:11:15 zeus xinetd[20950]: xinetd Version 2.3.14 started with libwrap loadavg options compiled in.
    May 5 21:11:15 zeus xinetd[20950]: Started working: 1 available service
    May 5 21:11:25 zeus xinetd[20953]: warning: can't get client address: Transport endpoint is not connected
    May 5 21:12:59 zeus gdm-session-worker[20689]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_value_get_boolean: assertion `G_VALUE_HOLDS_BOOLEAN (value)' failed
    May 5 21:13:03 zeus gnome-session[20978]: WARNING: GSIdleMonitor: IDLETIME counter not found
    May 5 21:13:03 zeus rtkit-daemon[21046]: Sucessfully called chroot.
    May 5 21:13:03 zeus rtkit-daemon[21046]: Sucessfully dropped privileges.
    May 5 21:13:03 zeus rtkit-daemon[21046]: Sucessfully limited resources.
    May 5 21:13:03 zeus rtkit-daemon[21046]: Running.
    May 5 21:13:03 zeus rtkit-daemon[21046]: Watchdog thread running.
    May 5 21:13:03 zeus rtkit-daemon[21046]: Canary thread running.

Not out of the woods yet though. Seems like the fast-user-switching (or something related to it anyway) fails when I login. I only mention this because I wonder if it's related to the following problem: If I log out of the session to close vnc server, I can no longer log back in, until I reboot. restarting gdm or restarting xinetd is of no help. If I simply "X" the window closed, then I can log back into it. Is this something that an Xstartup file would be able to help with by any chance?

Here's what I get on each login:

So. While there's signifcant progress made, the one thing above all that really gets to me is why I need to run two vnc servers, in order to get one to work!?!?!?

update: Upon reboot, now I noticed in syslog that it reports both of them as up and running, though ps shows only the second of the two, and I still get an instant timeout on connect to the first one (running as user nobody)

Beans

OK, regarding the whole "unable to vnc back in if I logout" thing, it's worth noting that I'm running ubuntu-server on this machine, and I simply installed gnome-desktop-environment instead of the clunkier ubuntu-desktop. Not knowing whether or not this is responsible for that odd behaviour, I'm now in the process of installing ubuntu-deskstop and we'll see if that makes any sort of difference in the morning.

Some other stuff I've noticed:

For clarity: In /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc, when I went to setting up two services as was shown to us by crass, I named the first one "vncsmall" and the second "vncbig," the latter of which is the one which runs as root. BTW, still not sure how the one running unprivileged as nobody runs exactly. Ok, moving right along...

In syslog, the error msgs indicate the service "vncbig" (see above) couldn't bind to the requested port because it's already in use. However, when I connected to :5, which is the one designated for "vncbig" I was able to connect: Here's what I'm talking about:

May 5 20:58:06 zeus xinetd[20767]: Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc [file=/etc/xinetd.conf] [line=14]

***SNIP*** (other services)

May 5 20:58:06 zeus xinetd[20767]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98.)). service = vncbig
    May 5 20:58:06 zeus xinetd[20767]: Service vncbig failed to start and is deactivated.
    May 5 20:58:06 zeus xinetd[20767]: xinetd Version 2.3.14 started with libwrap loadavg options compiled in.
    May 5 20:58:06 zeus xinetd[20767]: Started working: 1 available service
    May 5 20:58:21 zeus xinetd[20767]: Exiting...

==============================================

Now, back to my observation that the two VNC's started up according to syslog on reboot. Here's what I mean:

May 5 21:18:30 zeus xinetd[21315]: Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc [file=/etc/xinetd.conf] [line=14]

**SNIP** same again

May 5 21:18:30 zeus xinetd[21315]: xinetd Version 2.3.14 started with libwrap loadavg options compiled in.
    May 5 21:18:30 zeus xinetd[21315]: Started working: 2 available services
    May 5 21:19:23 zeus xinetd[21323]: warning: can't get client address: Transport endpoint is not connected
    May 5 21:19:27 zeus xinetd[21325]: warning: can't get client address: Transport endpoint is not connected

Those warning messages are what appears at the same time as I get the connection reset by peer when I try to telnet or vnc to the server.

Beans

Hey I went through and installed vnc4server, xinetd and set everything up as in this guide on an Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx machine. Everything worked phenominally.

Then I made what is apparently a huge mistake and did a sudo apt-get upgrade. Now I get the gray screen with the old style x cursor. It even gives me the gray screen when I run the vncserver from the desktop and try to login.

If I try to do it with vnc4server straight from the command line and attempt to connect, I get the additional "Could not acquire name on session bus."

If I use the Xvnc4 command, I get "error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy" in the terminal and get the gray screen when I try to VNC to the display.

The ~/.vnc/passwd file is there and being referenced in /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc file.

Now if I login as root and run through things manually it works like a charm.

I've read through a majority of the 60 pages of this posting, some other ones and still can't find a solution to my problem. Any ideas?

Beans

These are great instructions and served me well on Ubuntu 8.04. But I just upgraded to 10.04 and Xvnc is not responding to vncviewer.

I would love it if someone had any guidance on how to setup Xvnc for Ubuntu 10.04.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated,
    Dale E. Moore
    PS: My upgrade method was:
    1. "update-manager -d" from 8.04 to 9.10
    2. "do-release-upgrade" from 9.10 to 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DaleEMoore View Post
    These are great instructions and served me well on Ubuntu 8.04. But I just upgraded to 10.04 and Xvnc is not responding to vncviewer.

I would love it if someone had any guidance on how to setup Xvnc for Ubuntu 10.04.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated,
    Dale E. Moore
    PS: My upgrade method was:
    1. "update-manager -d" from 8.04 to 9.10
    2. "do-release-upgrade" from 9.10 to 10.04
    Actually with the newer versions you can configure a remote desktop from System>Personal>Remote Desktop.

That is how i have done mind and i also have a good Linksys Roughter that lest me set the ip of computer on my network so that the have a static ip in the roughter, I also have a free domain form a place that prodied them and with the new roughter i even have accec to my 'server' that is at home when im at work. as well on my local network by useing VNC viewer on those windows based systems.

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast