Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

this HOW-To needs to be rewritten for Dapper.

of all VNC options - THIS ONE was my preferred option. and now it no longer applies due to XDMCP.

Someone please write a new 'resumable session vnc4server how to' for dapper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by L4mp
    How do you do this in dapper? I can't find these settings in dapper, my vnc worked perfectly in breezy but since i updated i get those dot screens.
    This normally is because of the XDMCP setting.
    Ok, this is what I did. I'm rather new at this so I can't be sure if this will work for you....or anyone for that matter. I'm running Ubuntu 6.06.

Please note, these steps are only what you want to do if you had your VNC setup working under 5.10 and then you upgraded to 6.06 and it doesn't work anymore.

1. Log in to GNOME.
    2. Click "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window"
    3. Enter your password if necessary.
    4. Click the "Remote" tab.
    5. Under the "Style:" drop down box, choose "Same as Local".
    6. Click the "Configure XDMCP" button and make sure "Honor Indirect Requests" is set to what you want it to be set to.
    7. Click "close" twice.

See if this does it for you. Good luck!

Edit: Forgot to add that my VNC session doesn't seem to be resumable. I don't know if it's due to the Dapper upgrade or if I messed up somewhere else.
    Last edited by ABeakyboy; June 6th, 2006 at 07:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

well I got xdmcp setup
    followed the tutorial
    it asks for a vnc password
    and won't take the one I defined.

/poop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by ABeakyboy
    Ok, this is what I did. I'm rather new at this so I can't be sure if this will work for you....or anyone for that matter. I'm running Ubuntu 6.06.

Please note, these steps are only what you want to do if you had your VNC setup working under 5.10 and then you upgraded to 6.06 and it doesn't work anymore.

1. Log in to GNOME.
    2. Click "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window"
    3. Enter your password if necessary.
    4. Click the "Remote" tab.
    5. Under the "Style:" drop down box, choose "Same as Local".
    6. Click the "Configure XDMCP" button and make sure "Honor Indirect Requests" is set to what you want it to be set to.
    7. Click "close" twice.

See if this does it for you. Good luck!

Edit: Forgot to add that my VNC session doesn't seem to be resumable. I don't know if it's due to the Dapper upgrade or if I messed up somewhere else.

thanks alot for your reply!

but i'm sorry to say that it didn't worked

still get the "pixelscreen" when i make the connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Okay I am totally lost from all the posts in this topic.

Can someone tell me how to enable resumeable sessions in 6.06 with the commands to get the software (if any) through apt-get?

I would like to be able to VNC into my new ubuntu server as its the last peice of the puzzle for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread, but... I did the howto in post 1, and did the stuff listed here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VNC?highlight=%28VNC%29

if I do vncviewer <ip>:0 I can take control of my desktop...
    if I do vncviewer <ip>:1 I get a dead x screen (grey backgroud with x cursor)...

maybe GDM is the problem?

EDIT: Bingo! enabled xdmcp in gdm.conf, rebooted and I'm in, at least locally
    Last edited by elemental666; June 7th, 2006 at 09:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Set up VNC server with resumable sessions on dapper (6.06)

1. Enable XDMCP

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
    then find this rule:
    # The greeter for xdmcp logins, usually you want a less graphically intensive
    # greeter here so it's better to leave this with gdmlogin
    # RemoteGreeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin

remove the '#' in the last line so there should be:

RemoteGreeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin

Note: Before doing the next step, you need to make sure the extra repositories (e.g. universe) are enabled:
    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu#Ho...a_repositories

2. Install required packages (vncserver and xinetd)

Code:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vnc4server xinetd

Note to AMD64 users: The current version of vnc4server in the repositories has a bug, so you need to download and install the fixed vnc4 packages as shown below:

Code:

Code:
    wget http://qt1.iq.usp.br/download/vnc4server_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb wget http://qt1.iq.usp.br/download/xvnc4viewer_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb sudo dpkg -i vnc4server_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb sudo dpkg -i xvnc4viewer_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb

3. Set the VNC passwd
    Code:

Code:
    sudo vncpasswd /root/.vncpasswd

4. Add vnc service to xinetd:
    Code:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc
    Enter this into the new file:

Code:
    Code:
    service Xvnc { type = UNLISTED disable = no socket_type = stream protocol = tcp wait = yes user = root server = /usr/bin/Xvnc server_args = -inetd :1 -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd port = 5901 }
    5. Restart xinetd (usually there is no need to reboot, but occasionally it might be required)

Code:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd stop sudo killall Xvnc sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd start

6. That's it! To test that this is working first try to connect from the same machine (the machine we just set up the VNC server on):

Code:
    Code:
    vncviewer localhost:1
    You should be prompted for the VNC password, and then see the GDM login screen where you can login and start a new X session. If that works, you can now go ahead and try to connect from remote machine using your favorite VNC client (remember to first close the local vncviewer we started above). Remember to use the VNC server machine's domain name or IP address, followed by :1 (e.g. 192.168.0.100:1). If connecting locally as shown above works, but connecting remotely fails, then this means you have a problem with a firewall which is blocking some ports. See the notes below about how to deal with that.

Note about ports: The VNC server set up as shown uses TCP port 5901. If you are using firewall software (e.g. firestarter) on that machine, you need to allow incoming connections on this port. If you are using a router which assigns your machine a private address (e.g. 192.168.0.100) which is not accessible from the internet, then you need to forward TCP port 5901 from the router to this machine.

Note about security: This setup allows any user to start an X-session remotely by logging in using his regular password (after starting the VNC connection using the VNC password), so if the user disconnects without logging out, any other user which knows the VNC password can connect afterwards and resume the same session that the first user started. So if you do not want to log out before disconnecting, it's advisable to at least lock your VNC X-session screen. Also note that while a remote user is connected thru VNC, no other connection will be accepted. An idle VNC client will be disconnected after one hour, but this can be changed by using the "-IdleTimeout" option in the server_args line in /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc. For example, you can add "-IdleTimeout 300" to change it to 5 minutes.

ps. This was copy/pasted from a few posts made by other ppl, I simply putted them together and tested everything! It works here for me now.

If questions just post
    Last edited by L4mp; June 7th, 2006 at 10:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Can you delete these? I took out the question I had because I resolved it. Sometimes talking to yourself works. See below.
    Last edited by p_alexander; June 8th, 2006 at 06:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I added a bunch of stuff that I had to do in order to make this work on my amd64 box. This box was originally installed under 5.10 and upgraded to 6.06. Everything pretty much out of the box. YMMV.

Oh yeah, this also made Vino work as well, not sure why. Perhaps the xdmcp stuff. So, vino is on display 0, vnc4 on display 1.

This is copied from L4mp's post above with my changes added to the amd64 section.

PS - Ignore the "HTML" comment in the "HTML Code" boxes. I couldn't get regular code boxes to include line breaks. Noob at work.

1. Enable XDMCP

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
    then find this rule:
    # RemoteGreeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin

remove the '#' in the last line so there should be:

RemoteGreeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin

Note: I had to also change another part of the gdm.conf file. Also, a restart was required so gdm could read the new configuration.

Look for the following piece of text in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
    HTML Code:
    [xdmcp]
    # Distributions: Ship with this off.  It is never a safe thing to leave out on
    # the net.  Setting up /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to only allow local
    # access is another alternative but not the safest.  Firewalling port 177 is
    # the safest if you wish to have xdmcp on.  Read the manual for more notes on
    # the security of XDMCP.
    Enable=false
    Change the Enable=false to Enable=true

Note: Before doing the next step, you need to make sure the extra repositories (e.g. universe) are enabled:
    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_da...a_repositories

2. Install required packages (vncserver and xinetd)

Code:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vnc4server xinetd
    i386 users can skip to step 3, AMD64 users continue to 2a.

2a. Note to AMD64 users: The current version of vnc4server in the repositories has a bug, so you need to download and install the fixed vnc4 packages as shown below:

Code:
    HTML Code:
    wget http://qt1.iq.usp.br/download/vnc4server_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb
    wget http://qt1.iq.usp.br/download/xvnc4viewer_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i vnc4server_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i xvnc4viewer_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb
    Some people may have unmet depencies in these packages and will need to install additional packages.

Code:
    HTML Code:
    sudo apt-get install gcc-3.3-base
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
    There is one dependent package that cannot be installed as it has been deprecated in the new 6.06. Therefore, we have to force the vnc4server packages to install.

Code:
    HTML Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all vnc4server_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb 
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all xvnc4server_4.0-7.3_amd64.deb
    I am loathe to force package installs BUT it seems to work in this case. An updated, working AMD64 vnc4server package would be preferable.

3. Set the VNC passwd

Code:
    Code:
    sudo vncpasswd /root/.vncpasswd
    4. Add vnc service to xinetd:

Code:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc
    Enter this into the new file:

Code:
    HTML Code:
    service Xvnc
    {
         type = UNLISTED
         disable = no
         socket_type = stream
         protocol = tcp
         wait = yes
         user = root
         server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
         server_args = -inetd :1 -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd
         port = 5901
    }
    5. Restart xinetd (usually there is no need to reboot, but occasionally it might be required)

Code:
    HTML Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd stop
    sudo killall Xvnc
    sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd start
    6. That's it! To test that this is working first try to connect from the same machine (the machine we just set up the VNC server on):

Code:
    Code:
    vncviewer localhost:1
    You should be prompted for the VNC password, and then see the GDM login screen where you can login and start a new X session. If that works, you can now go ahead and try to connect from remote machine using your favorite VNC client (remember to first close the local vncviewer we started above). Remember to use the VNC server machine's domain name or IP address, followed by :1 (e.g. 192.168.0.100:1). If connecting locally as shown above works, but connecting remotely fails, then this means you have a problem with a firewall which is blocking some ports. See the notes below about how to deal with that.

Note about ports: The VNC server set up as shown uses TCP port 5901. If you are using firewall software (e.g. firestarter) on that machine, you need to allow incoming connections on this port. If you are using a router which assigns your machine a private address (e.g. 192.168.0.100) which is not accessible from the internet, then you need to forward TCP port 5901 from the router to this machine.

Note about security: This setup allows any user to start an X-session remotely by logging in using his regular password (after starting the VNC connection using the VNC password), so if the user disconnects without logging out, any other user which knows the VNC password can connect afterwards and resume the same session that the first user started. So if you do not want to log out before disconnecting, it's advisable to at least lock your VNC X-session screen. Also note that while a remote user is connected thru VNC, no other connection will be accepted. An idle VNC client will be disconnected after one hour, but this can be changed by using the "-IdleTimeout" option in the server_args line in /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc. For example, you can add "-IdleTimeout 300" to change it to 5 minutes.
    Last edited by p_alexander; June 8th, 2006 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

ok perfect dude!
    i'll make a new thread with the tag of dapper 6.06 so other ppl will find it easy!

Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast