Thread: NeverWinter Nights 1 installing problems: Using Bioware Native Client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation NeverWinter Nights 1 installing problems: Using Bioware Native Client

Hi! Here's the deal. Recently I got myself the disks of NeverWinter Nights. Now, when I put them in, this UDF problem appears, that as I have read, is pretty common in Jaunty. Just when I was trying to convince someone to get me the same discs in other format for me to be able to install them, I remember that actually NWN had a native client. Lucky me, I said.

So I followed this Guide in Spanish on how to installing it. The only difference was that I didn't download any Spanish Language Packages because I just want to play the game in English, just as the original D&D. Well, I did the whole thing but things didn't really worked out. Here's what I did:

1) Get game resources wget http://files.bioware.com/neverwinter...rces129.tar.gz
    2) Get Client/Binary Package wget http://files.bioware.com/neverwinter...ient129.tar.gz
    3) Get last Patch http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch_linux169.html
    4) Extract Resources
    5) Extract Client and Patch inside extracted NWN folder
    6) Before extracting Patch, erase override content : rm -f override/*
    7) Execute game script with ./nwn
    8) Segmentation Fault Error
    9) Edit nano nwn to leave it like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# This script runs Neverwinter Nights from the current directory

export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0
    export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0

# If you do not wish to use the SDL library included in the package, remove
    # ./lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

./nwmain $@
    10) Execute game script with ./nwn

Now, when I first execute the ./nwn command, monitor when black for a while, and the come back. When I did it the second time, after "fixing" the nano nwn file, monitor went black again, but for ages! Actually, I waited at least 20 minutes before deciding that things weren't actually working fine. It's suppose to prompt me to insert the serial key, but instead, I got nothing at all.

So, what should I do for doing it? I could followed the instructions on how to installing the disk, but as I said before, this #%$$ UDF problem doesn't let me, . So, installing the client is for me the best option considering that, after all, Bioware made it specifically for us Linux-Users.

Any help that you could provide? Now using Jaunty, but if someone would tell me that in Hardy things would be better, I would format the computer in no time. After all, I really, really want to play the game.

Beans
    Distro

Re: NeverWinter Nights 1 installing problems: Using Bioware Native Client

Here's the error that I'm getting when trying to open the game. Obviously, as many Jaunty users, I'm having sound problems... Is that the cause of it then?

Code:
    mandala13@Amaterasu:~/nwn/nwclient129$ ./nwn
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:975:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to create IPC semaphore
    Segmentation fault

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thumbs up Re: NeverWinter Nights 1 installing problems: Using Bioware Native Client

Definitely a sound problem. Try OSS (in System/Preferences/Sound) or maybe PulseAudio. Another reason why I'm still using good ol' Intrepid 8.10 and have yet to have a sound problem in NWN.

Beans
    Distro

Re: NeverWinter Nights 1 installing problems: Using Bioware Native Client

So sad... Well, I'm already using OSS in Sound Preferences, but one of the first things that I do after installing Jaunty is unistalling PulseAudio... Let's say that PA and me have a hate history...

But well, there are two options that I could consider then:

1)Installing PA again and trying to make it work.
    2)Downgrading to Hardy, where I do have 100% sound, but graphic card problems.