Thread: ecryptfs encrypted $HOME Jaunty - change login password

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question ecryptfs encrypted $HOME Jaunty - change login password

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) after turning my back on Windows, and I read about encrypting my /home directory here (http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/...rectories.html).

I ran into one problem. If I change my login password, I can't get back into my user folder after restart.

I read somewhere that I could "rewrap" the passphrase file with - "ecryptfs-rewrap-passphrase ~/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphase". However, that didn't work for me.

So my question: Once I change my login password (which syncs with ecryptsfs encrypted /home directory), how do I get that relationship between my login and encrypted home directory back?

Beans

Re: ecryptfs encrypted $HOME Jaunty - change login password

"Same thing just happened to me" bump... I can still mount it manually by switching over to console, but I don't see a logical way to do this.

I can change my login password back manually, or mess with the command line, but I've got customers who won't or can't do this! This needs to be automatic somehow.

In the meantime, what's a simple way to fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by electromage View Post
    "Same thing just happened to me" bump... I can still mount it manually by switching over to console, but I don't see a logical way to do this.

I can change my login password back manually, or mess with the command line, but I've got customers who won't or can't do this! This needs to be automatic somehow.

In the meantime, what's a simple way to fix this?
    You change you password graphically (in the "about me" menu) or if you change your password in the command line you also need to manually update ecryptfs.

See also this page :

http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Ecryptfs

Scroll down to the "Change password" section (screen shots included as are both graphical and command line instructions).
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; December 14th, 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Fixed trailing slash in url
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Thanks, I found that guide and it worked for me. I believe the OP tried that process however, and still had a problem.

Beans

Wink Re: ecryptfs encrypted $HOME Jaunty - change login password

Link is http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Ecryptfs, without the slash

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I read somewhere that I could "rewrap" the passphrase file with - "ecryptfs-rewrap-passphrase ~/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphase". However, that didn't work for me.
    Hi Mate,
    I think the command should be
    ecryptfs-rewrap-passphrase /home/.ecryptfs/$USER/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase

So my question: Once I change my login password (which syncs with ecryptsfs encrypted /home directory), how do I get that relationship between my login and encrypted home directory back?[/QUOTE]
    Sorry, not sure if this answers your question. When you make the encryption passphrase and your login passphrase the same, you should only have to login once as normal and your directory should auto decrypt.
    For future reference, if you use the graphical password change tool, you should not have to change the encryption passphrase separately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by roomey View Post
    [INDENT]
    Hi Mate,
    I think the command should be
    ecryptfs-rewrap-passphrase /home/.ecryptfs/$USER/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase

[INDENT]
    Cheers for this, as mine had some how become unlinked from the password change I made as the system forced me to make a change. This enabled me to re-wrap with the password I had.

Messages saw on login where -

/home/$USER/.ICEauthority
    /home/$USER/Desktop
    /home/$USER/.nautilus
    Dan, aka Grinch -->My blog<--

Beans

Never mind...sorry.

Thanks.
    Last edited by CampLife; October 20th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.