Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open issues with Jaunty on MacBook Pro 5,1

Beans

Re: Open issues with Jaunty on MacBook Pro 5,1

Quote Originally Posted by ercoppa View Post
    Install syndaemon (read here). It resolves this problem for me.

Greets, ercoppa.
    WoW! This page (about MacBook2-1/Jaunty) is one of the most complete I've seen. Great work

I'll try out syndaemon and feed-back this thread only in case of success.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    WoW! This page (about MacBook2-1/Jaunty) is one of the most complete I've seen. Great work

I'll try out syndaemon and feed-back this thread only in case of success.
    Well, syndaemon does not play nice for me. It's like it implements an undo very frequently which is very annoying. I'll remove it for now and check back later to see if I misconfigured something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ercoppa View Post
    Install syndaemon (read here). It resolves this problem for me.
    Wow-- I am so excited to know someone else has experienced the same problem, and that there is a solution.

I went to the site you referenced, and did the first step of going to System ▸ Preferences ▸ Startup Applications and adding a new startup program configured with the following command: syndaemon -d -t -K. Then the next step is to execute a command in the terminal window, which I did with the following result:

Code:
    :~$ echo -e '#!/bin/sh\nsyndaemon -d -t -K' | tee -a ~/.kde/Autostart/syndaemon
    tee: /home/swarup/.kde/Autostart/syndaemon: No such file or directory
    #!/bin/sh
    syndaemon -d -t -K
    So I went to Synaptic Package Manager to see if there is a package named "Syndaemon" which I need to download. But when I search on it, it just shows me the Synaptics Touchpad Driver, which is already installed. So what do I need to do to get the above terminal window command to work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swarup View Post
    Wow-- I am so excited to know someone else has experienced the same problem, and that there is a solution.

I went to the site you referenced, and did the first step of going to System ▸ Preferences ▸ Startup Applications and adding a new startup program configured with the following command: syndaemon -d -t -K. Then the next step is to execute a command in the terminal window, which I did with the following result:

Code:
    :~$ echo -e '#!/bin/sh\nsyndaemon -d -t -K' | tee -a ~/.kde/Autostart/syndaemon
    tee: /home/swarup/.kde/Autostart/syndaemon: No such file or directory
    #!/bin/sh
    syndaemon -d -t -K
    The above code is _only_ for Kubuntu. If you run Ubuntu then you just need to log-out and log-in. Or execute

Code:
    syndaemon -d -t -K
    or in case of errors
    Code:
    syndaemon -d -t -K -S

Beans

I see, thanks Nikos. I'm at work now-- will try what you've told me when I get home.
    Swarup

Beans

Ok, today I installed syndaemon and have been typing extensively with it running. I find that it has solved the vast majority of the problem. I can type with my hands resting on the computer now, and the cursor doesn't go flying all over the place. There were only a few scattered occasions on which it moved the cursor somewhere else when it shouldn't have. Otherwise, for 98% of the time I'd say that for me, this particular problem has been solved.

So that makes two huge solutions which I've been fortunate to find on this thread: (1) how to turn off the screen auto-adjust; and (2) how to make the trackpad stable for typing.

What I think may be the last major hurdle for me with this computer is that the left side where the left hand rests while typing, gets quite warm-- bordering on hot. And is uncomfortable. I see on the MBP 5-1,5-2/Jaunty wiki that by configuring the computer to run with the chipset graphicchip (Nvidia 9400),

Batterylife seems to improve from 1:40 to 3:20 and the laptop is 10° cooler.
    To achieve this, it says, one has to get the laptop to boot in efi-mode, by installing either elilo or grub2. By the looks of the elilo install description, it seems difficult to do. Also, there is the described drawback that "cpufreq renders system instable". And the grub2 install instructions are written out in only a very general (rather than step-by-step) way. Is it worth doing this conversion over to run with the chipset graphicchip (Nvidia 9400)? Will the left side of the laptop (where my left hand rests as I type) be cooler? If so, it may be worth it to me to do the install.

Beans

Do you find that the MBP runs quite a bit hotter with Jaunty than it does with OSX? I do. I did the install of the fan and temp management from the wiki, but I don't know if it is running properly and if it is running, it doesn't seem to do much. Any thoughts on this point?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swarup View Post
    Do you find that the MBP runs quite a bit hotter with Jaunty than it does with OSX? I do. I did the install of the fan and temp management from the wiki, but I don't know if it is running properly and if it is running, it doesn't seem to do much. Any thoughts on this point?
    This has been discussed extensively. It is hotter but it is, IMHO, ok (=the machine is not going to fire-up :-p).

Of course it would be perfect to get grub-efi working without problems. We (simple users) have to support the dev's by testing(or tasting) what they are baking . I believe, from what I read on the net (forum, launchpad, etc.) that we are close to a good solution.

Nikos

Beans

Does anybody else epxerience kernel panic with kernel 2.6.28-15-generic / Jaunty 64-bit?

I work now with the previous kernel 2.6.28-14-generic.
    solved, check post # 38. Probably I had done something wrong while playing with grub2.
    Last edited by Nikos.Alexandris; August 7th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you post the backtrace from the kernel panic? I've been running -15 fine so far for the past day or so under EFI.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast