Thread: Sort/ categorise applications that appear in the dialog "Open with..."

Beans

Lightbulb [SOLVED] Sort/ categorise applications that appear in the dialog "Open with..."

Apologies for bumping the idea posted at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/14296.

Suppose there is a file type which is not "assigned" to any program to be opened with or we want to assign another program to work with the selected file type. Then we do right click and select "Open with/Open with Other Applications...". A long list with programs appears to choose from.

Wouldn't it be useful to have a sorting function so it's easier to search for an application? Besides alphabetical sorting, maybe grouping according to the category in which the application belongs (internet, graphics, sound & video, etc.) would be nice to have.

If you like the idea then sign-in ubuntu brainstorm and give it a bump
    Kindest regards, Nikos
    Last edited by Nikos.Alexandris; July 25th, 2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added [SOLVED] in the title

Beans

Re: Sort/ categorise applications that appear in the dialog "Open with..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    How can I mark this as SOLVED?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You as the originator can edit the subject line of your post and add [SOLVED], I think. <smile>
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    You as the originator can edit the subject line of your post and add [SOLVED], I think. <smile>
    Done. But I don't think this is the same as having that tool called "Mark thread as SOLVED". It seems it's not working anymore... Can't find it!?

I've read other posts that this option was removed and would be soon (re-)activated. I think it's important that we do mark threads as solved to save time.

Kind regards, Nikos