Thread: Wine

Beans

Question Wine

I'm currently running Jaunty on my laptop. The primary reason why I preferred Ubuntu on my laptop is its resistance to viruses; and the secondary reason is its usability and "freeness".

Unfortunately, I need to install Picasa for Linux. With this, it installs Wine automatically in order to run the application.

My question is: If I install Wine, will my system be vulnerable to viruses and other nasty things that Windows is known for?

Need a straight and honest opinion. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Wine

No it won't. The reason Linux is not vulnerable to viruses is the whole permission thing : You can't really write outside your home directory without expressed permission. That should be safe for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Wine

Quote Originally Posted by nengracia View Post
    My question is: If I install Wine, will my system be vulnerable to viruses and other nasty things that Windows is known for?
    If you deliberately install a virus with Wine you may, in principle, corrupt your pretend Windows environment that's stored at ~/.wine. It won't permanently affect anything else, and simply deleting that folder will cause a new pretend Windows environment to be created.

It's an old experiment, but someone did try to see if they could get Windows viruses to run in Wine. Here's the article.
    None but ourselves can free our minds