Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is so bad about Vista?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What is so bad about Vista?

I'm just curious... I dual boot my home computer with Jaunty and Vista SP2. I use Vista at home for the Media Center (to be compatible with a Media Center Extender) and iTunes for my iPhone.

And it seems to work fine. I prefer to run Ubuntu for speed, security, and functionality. However, I still wonderwhy is it everyone hates Vista so much?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Re: What is so bad about Vista?

Search next time please... :S

General opinion is that it sucked at launch, is now ok because of service packs. Of course, everyone here still loves to harp on how much Vista sucks just for fun.
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

For your day to day average home computer user it is, for the most part, fine. But for programmers, hackers, and any other person that does not just want to watch youtube and check their Hotmail and AIM it is annoying with the large amounts of RAM is uses and annoying notifications.
    REGISTERED UBUNTU USER - #25241
    I void warranties.
    Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Beans

Well for me it is the speed. I need a fast computer. Also most of the software is free with linux so it save me $$$. Plus the OS is simple compared to windows, even though I know windows better.
    thats my thought
    cheers,
    Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I suprisingly found the install more challenging and less straightforward than Ubuntu. In particular, I had to install drivers seperately for most of my hardware which, ironicaly, brought home how easy we have it in Linux world. Installation of the drivers in Vista was tricky as there were lots of choices (probably for stuff I don't have in addition to what I did) and I pitty the unknowledgable fool trying to do this themselves.

For Ubuntu, I just vanilla installed from the DVD and everything on my laptop worked out of the box. With a vanilla install of Vista I had a poor display, a very basic touchpad, no networking and other annoyances.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    I'm just curious... I dual boot my home computer with Jaunty and Vista SP2. I use Vista at home for the Media Center (to be compatible with a Media Center Extender) and iTunes for my iPhone.

And it seems to work fine. I prefer to run Ubuntu for speed, security, and functionality. However, I still wonderwhy is it everyone hates Vista so much?

you don't know? because it's from Evil MS (or M$, as some freetard would write). it's because you cannot just download it and install (ok, ok, i know, you can, but its against license/illegal); you have to pay for it. it also behave in different way than Windows XP, so home-grown professionals dont know how to use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved to Recurring Discussions

Beans

Firstly cause it's a Microsoft Product

Secondly cause of the hardware requirements need to run a Vista machine. I sucks at efficiency. The difference can be clearly seen between an XP and a Vista moreover with Linux.

Also Vista clearly wasn't a product designed to be the best (efficient and powerful) but rather it was designed to gain the biggest profit.
    Wasting your life is a murder!

nmaster is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

1. I hate how much space Vista takes up on the hard disk. I was thinking of dual-booting, but I don't like wasting my hard drive space.

2. I've found that Matlab Image Processing Toolbox doesn't work properly. There will be errors of a pixel or two and that doesn't happen in Ubuntu.

3. The Linux driver for my touchpad is better. There is some Vista compatibility issue that hasn't been addressed.

There are prob more things, but I'll add those later if I care enough

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So, no "technical" reasons then?

The only reasons I've got so far is...

• Uses a lot of RAM
    • Notifications
    • All the software for it is not free.
    • Drivers are not included
    • DVD installation takes a while.
    • It behaves different from XP.
    • Hardware requirements.

These aren't technical, these are comparative to Ubuntu.

What is actually wrong with Vista?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast