Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Error while installing graphics driver: ./default_policy.sh does not support version

Beans

Error while installing graphics driver: ./default_policy.sh does not support version

Hi,
    I installed 9.04 on a HP t5730 Thin Client.

As soon as I'm logged in to the OS I have graphic errors.
    This Thin Client has a ATI X1250 graphics chip.

Therefore I tried to install the ATI driver which I downloaded from the web.
    But during the installation via the Gnome terminal I'm getting this error:

user@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.FoFMJW
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.593............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.28-13-generic; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.FoFMJW
    user@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ --iscurrentdistro
    bash: --iscurrentdistro: command not found
    user@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ iscurrentdistro
    bash: iscurrentdistro: command not found
    user@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ -iscurrentdistro
    bash: -iscurrentdistro: command not found
    user@ubuntu:~/Desktop$

What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Error while installing graphics driver: ./default_policy.sh does not support vers

have the same prob right now :S

Beans

Re: Error while installing graphics driver: ./default_policy.sh does not support vers

I've found this thread on the german Ubuntu forums:
    http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/at...st-sich-nicht/

According to this thread It seems like the Kernel and the XServer of Ubuntu 9.04 are too new for this ATI driver.
    Only ATI Catalyst 9.5 will support the Kernel and XServer of Ubuntu 9.04.

So does that mean we could only use an older version of Ubuntu?

Would be good if somebody can confirm this as I'm a Linux beginner...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, you need to use and older version of ubuntu to use a driver from ati that will work with the x1250. But....many people are very happy using the open source ati and raden drivers with that card so you should try them out before doing anything drastic.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Error while installing graphics driver: ./default_policy.sh does not support vers

I don't remember where i read this but i think u can just downgrade xorg to allow for proper install w/o errors, I know i wouldnt want to to sacrafice my 9.04 installation. That would make me .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Couple of points of interest ...

You CAN downgrade the Xorg to allow installation of ATI restricted Linux drivers -- but when you do that, you have to "lock" a whole bunch of files to prevent them ever getting updated again. This prevents you from benefiting from any Xorg updates after that.

Also, the latest Catalyst version that works with the discontinued cards is "legacy 9.8" -- for MS Windows. That superceded v9.3 with some critical patches. But last time I checked, Catalyst 9.3 for Linux had not been updated for legacy cards.

Nothing newer than Catalyst 9.3 (except for the "Legacy 9.8") will work with the default Xorg in Ubuntu 9.04 -- and newer. Downloading and forcing a newer driver version will only render the display unusable and you will have to manually remove the driver and restore the open source driver to get your desktop back.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Red face Re: Error while installing graphics driver: ./default_policy.sh does not support vers

WTF i can't believe that??? Why the f**** hast ATI support been (factical) dropped with Karmic?

Beans

Try a 'compapibility mode':

./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg

then, chose one and try:

./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/8.10

Bruno Lemos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Bruno Lemos:

Why are you resurrecting a six-month-old thread?

Also, your advice specified Ubuntu 8.10 -- but the OP specifically mentioned using 9.04.

Have you actually tried this hack and confirmed it works in 9.04?
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Error while installing graphics driver: ./default_policy.sh does not support vers

Quote Originally Posted by brunolemos View Post
    Try a 'compapibility mode':

./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg

then, chose one and try:

./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/8.10

Bruno Lemos
    Thanks Dude!!! Its working on my pc ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast