Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good News on the Video Editor Front

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Good News on the Video Editor Front

I haven't tried any of those (bar kdenlive), any good? Would you recommend them?
    Currently running: elementary Freya. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 14.04. (Started in 8.04)
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.
    2.16Ghz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin spratt View Post
    If you are using movie maker as a bench mark it can't be very good thats below basic,
    Kino/avidmux/kdenlive. are all a lot better applications for video editing and of course Cinelerra is used to make movies. Linux is not that bad when you learn to work with it.
    I can't say I disagree.

I understand people have problems with some applications. I've used Kino for four years and as I said in my previous post, have completed various activities.

I can't say I can compare Kino et al with other apps on other OSs because I've never used them. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing ))

I can say that there are functions I would like but as I can do what I want (and more) already , I see little reason to buy another machine (eg. CrApple) to get an OS to then get a application that I've not heard of as doing anything I can't already )

Furthermore, I understand that Final Cut Pro (name?) has a great rep, but the people I know that have it do LESS editing/special effects etc than I do.

Check out my site:

www.youcantdothatinlinux.com

for an idea of what I'm trying to help others with

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you are using movie maker as a bench mark it can't be very good thats below basic,
    Kino/avidmux/kdenlive. are all a lot better applications for video editing and of course Cinelerra is used to make movies. Linux is not that bad when you learn to work with it.
    Some of those do work. Kino works but is limited on formats it will accept. kdenlive is not stable in Gnome. It just has not worked for me on multiple machines. Cinelerra is quite good - but that is for advanced users and not the needs of the majority. The Movie Maker and iMovie target is where the majority of users want and need to do their personal photo slideshows and movie management for family movies.
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GMU_DodgyHodgy View Post
    Well Kino never could make things work with photos - and I know it wasn't designed to.

I am happy.

That's good LOL

Again, with Kino I'm not sure what the problem was. It easily imports photos. You set the number of frames (second, whichever) and the hit

Kino - FX - Create (from file) - frames - render. Done.

You can event set a special effect (eg. merge, fade in) while rendering.

Later you set music by:

Kino - FX - Audio filter - dub - select file

then in the 'offset' you can choose to make the sound fade out or rise wherever you like.

As I said in another post...actually, no I didn't ) Kino isn't necessarily the easiest, but I've not tried the others (on other OSs) so I don't know. Oh, I did say that last bit before. So I've probably no idea how hard my life is ))

Here's some video I create using only 'nix stuff:

http://wftlbytes.com/

Select the video and you'll see an intro I created for Marcel Gagné's site (check out the credits)

That was done with SMILE and Kino and a bit of GIMP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by gmu_dodgyhodgy View Post
    some of those do work. Kino works but is limited on formats it will accept. Kdenlive is not stable in gnome. It just has not worked for me on multiple machines. Cinelerra is quite good - but that is for advanced users and not the needs of the majority. The movie maker and imovie target is where the majority of users want and need to do their personal photo slideshows and movie management for family movies.
    +1
    Currently running: elementary Freya. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 14.04. (Started in 8.04)
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.
    2.16Ghz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GMU_DodgyHodgy View Post
    Some of those do work. Kino works but is limited on formats it will accept. kdenlive is not stable in Gnome. It just has not worked for me on multiple machines. Cinelerra is quite good - but that is for advanced users and not the needs of the majority. The Movie Maker and iMovie target is where the majority of users want and need to do their personal photo slideshows and movie management for family movies.
    Cinelerra has the HARDEST interface I've come across. I've set myself the challenge of learning how to use so I can see what it does (but not today )

Beans

I'm curious as to why you feel this way about Movie Maker. The program does a great job of incorporating a great many features into an interface that novices can easily use. What specific aspects is it lacking in?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 4ebees View Post
    I can't say I disagree.

I understand people have problems with some applications. I've used Kino for four years and as I said in my previous post, have completed various activities.

I can't say I can compare Kino et al with other apps on other OSs because I've never used them. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing ))

I can say that there are functions I would like but as I can do what I want (and more) already , I see little reason to buy another machine (eg. CrApple) to get an OS to then get a application that I've not heard of as doing anything I can't already )

Furthermore, I understand that Final Cut Pro (name?) has a great rep, but the people I know that have it do LESS editing/special effects etc than I do.

Check out my site:

www.youcantdothatinlinux.com

for an idea of what I'm trying to help others with
    Name some of the things things you wish kino could do.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by geoken View Post
    Name some of the things things you wish kino could do.
    One thing I'd like, no LOVE - and I think they're moving towards this, or something similar, in KDEnlive - is to have to multiple video streams showing (eg. one above the other) which you can then view simultaneously along with separate sound tracks. This way you can put various clips together much more easily and synch sound at the same time (1).

What I'm curious about is what the other ones can do and so would like to hear from other people. I have no real experience with the commercial editors though once had a go with one which is no longer available for Linux called MainActor, which had 3D text. That was pretty good.

---------
    (1) I understand from Dan Dennedy that this is NOT something which Kino will get because they're only working on bug fixing these days - he's now focusing most of his efforts on KDEnlive.

Sure I can move towards KDEnlive, but it's not stable enough in 8.04 and I prefer LTS distros (I'm far too busy to keep upgrading, modifying, amending and working around/fixing stuff broken every 18 months...hmmmm, this is becoming a long explanation ) - in short, I don't upgrade until a version has been out for about 6 months.

Anyhoo, that's one of the things I'd like.

Beans

I have always had trouble with all the apps mentioned in this thread -- never got them running in a stable way on my system or found that they couldn't do (yet) what I wanted them to do.

I can however seriously suggest Blender. Although the interface is difficult to adapt to at first, the VSE-Mode (video sequence editor) offers a powerful solution to nearly all of my problems when it comes to video editing -- and of course you don't have to know anything about animation to work in VSE-mode.

And what Blender is lacking in effects is made up by all the free content floating around in their forum -- just recently I found a 20thCenturyFox-animation where you can change the text, too nice...

If you have the determination to tackle the interface and read the documentation, Blender might be the best choice around.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast