Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT LINUX NEEDS - advertise campain like this one!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: WHAT LINUX NEEDS - advertise campain like this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Linux needs Windows power users. Most normal users don't actually maintain their system or care about what they are using as long as it works. The middle men or power users usually do the maintenance of computers in their family or community. They are like knights in the medieval world, strong and often more powerful than the ruler himself. But they also have a big ego and are scared about losing their power user status. It is important to turn them in our favour one way or the other, Mozilla did this and gained a strong market share in the browser market.
    Computer is a tool. One reason why I switched to ubuntu, it was because I didnt have to maintain it like windows. I dont care about maintenance since ubuntu doesint need to be maintained, its well organized to maintain itself. I have to agree with the mozilla strategy, I think its a result of their 25%+ market share. If Canonical could do the same thing it would be grreat!

Beans

Linux doesn't need to an advertisement campaign. It's not about market share.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    /thread
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think the Muso's here should create an "Open Sauce / Linux" Anthem. Mixing/Changing genre's at the breaks...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    Nope, it's not about market share. It's about making sure everyone knows they have a far wider range of choices than "Mac or Win".

Choice is kewl.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I am almost 100% sure I could pose this question to every person in the world running linux and get the same answer.
    Well, there was some coverage of Ubuntu Linux on DL.TV in early 2008 (and DL.TV episodes were at that time advertised by PC Magazine). I think, seeing the simplicity of it was what made me try Linux. And once you've tried, you are sold So yeah, to a certain extent I can say that I came to the Linux world through advertisement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Get a bunch of us superenthusiastic brand newbies to make a music video!

Amy
    Dance Class: No Place for Wimps!
    Non-Geeky Girls Love Linux Too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you JillSwift, that's precisely what I was talking about - spreading the word is not enough and we don't talk about market shares, we talk about knowing the options for making a choice.

Also the market share is not such a bad thing. It maybe not the primary linux idea but why then they sell computers with pre-installed linux? There is some profit there. And where are money there is a report and so a share analysys as well.

In my country, more and more people use computers. We're kinda IT country as here programers are a well developed tribe Many of us are programers or at least into the IT industry. But the majority are into Windows development or at least use Windows as a primary OS. Not to talk for the casual computer user. For the majority of people Linux is the Big Complex Thing and Oh No I Can't Use That!! True some don't want it for specific software reason - they use something that does not exist or it's not working the same way on Linux.

I am personally very happy with the improvement of the GUI last years. I would never use anything without a user-friendly GUI. The shell is cool and brings me nostalgic feeling for times 12years ago, but nowadays everything must be user-friendly. The GUI tuning for the netbooks is even simplified and makes me quite optimistic.

But that's not enough. I stone people when I show them compizfusion effects...and they still use Windows. Why? Because that's the well-known thingy they used for years and they are familiar with and don't like to leave their well-suited little world.

Microsoft did it right, the message is "even 7y old kid and 90y old lady could do these cool things with few clicks of the mouse on their home computer for few minutes, so everybody can do great things easily at home with our operating system!". Pretty straight-forward. I used to learn marketing at school and that's exactly like they teached us to spread messages - simply.

Ad campains are a must for the industry, otherwise Linux would remain exactly that well known to the mass user, as the coolest web-application framework is now known to my aunt.

Current Ubuntu versions for example, require so less of administration and maintenance in contrast to Windows and what? Majority still use Windows. It's just already into their conciousness that PC IS Windows and that Windows Is Easy, as well as Everything Else Do Not Worth Using. Don't know how's in USA guys - you there have the Mac well known for a long time, but in Europe where Mac is not so spread, users think of a PC and they imediatelly think of Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bit View Post
    Thank You Little Bit - I would already did it, If I knew how

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bit View Post

Amy
    One of the best ideas in the good idea list .
    GNU/Linux is an Ocean and Windows is an River always flooded by bugs, viruses, errors, spyware/adware and anything else... that's why I L0v3 GNU/LinuX
    follow me on twitter:
    http://twitter.com/heroidi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast