Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT LINUX NEEDS - advertise campain like this one!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation WHAT LINUX NEEDS - advertise campain like this one!

Hello, this is what linux needs:

Advertise campain showing to ordinary people how ordinary people use linux and easily can do cool things.

Also what Microsoft does in this campain must be beaten off - in the mind of the mass consumer they associate the abbreviation PC with Windows.

The ads are very well done. Take a look:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/watchtheads/

I think all major linux companies must take a note. PC is not Windows damn it.

PS: I am talking about the Rookie advertise clips. These rocks! Linux needs videos like these.
    Last edited by RaverWild; July 22nd, 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: WHAT LINUX NEEDS - advertise campain like this one!

google for the advertisement competition the linux foundation had.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RaverWild View Post

Advertise campain showing to ordinary people how ordinary people use linux and easily can do cool things.

Also what Microsoft does in this campain must be beaten off - in the mind of the mass consumer they associate the abbreviation PC with Windows.

The ads are very well done. Take a look:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/watchtheads/

PS: I am talking about the Rookie advertise clips. These rocks! Linux needs videos like these.
    Needs silverlight, besides screw MS
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Linux needs Windows power users. Most normal users don't actually maintain their system or care about what they are using as long as it works. The middle men or power users usually do the maintenance of computers in their family or community. They are like knights in the medieval world, strong and often more powerful than the ruler himself. But they also have a big ego and are scared about losing their power user status. It is important to turn them in our favour one way or the other, Mozilla did this and gained a strong market share in the browser market.
    Microsoft's crimes - Ubuntu CE - Windows 7 sins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

SunnyRabbiera, noone cares what me and you are thinking. Everybody cares what the mass is thinking. And the mass starts to like even more Microsoft:

http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=136731

Bölvağur, i saw some of the linux ads. They are pretty artistic and geeky and not so convincing as Microsoft ads, which are much more understandable by the mass viewer.

Viva, i dont think the power user is so important. on these ads Microsoft just show that very ordinary people (not geeks at all) tend to do cool things with just few clicks of the mouse. Honestly for a total newcomer i think both linux and windows are equally difficult. it's just that Windows is most spread, nothing else and then they seed the fear that linux is sooooo much difficult. the nowadays linux gui interfaces are pretty much simplified and beautified and man i own a netbook - when i was on buying it and saw all available netbooks, some with linux on them i got shocked because the interface was so polished to user-friendly that even grandmother could use it in few minutes. So the point is just to show this to the mass users

Good idea. Just pony up the cash and have some ads made.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

While I hate it when they say it I am happy with the Microsoft laptop commercials. I would rather someone buy a Vista machine than buy a Mac.
    REGISTERED UBUNTU USER - #25241
    I void warranties.
    Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Beans
    Hidden!

If I may, someone posted this in the community games forum - I think it's the perfect ad for Linux =^_^=
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

SunnyRabbiera, noone cares what me and you are thinking. Everybody cares what the mass is thinking. And the mass starts to like even more Microsoft:

http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=136731
    That article proves absolutely nothing. It presents an opinion and should be treated as such and not as a universal truth.

...and since when the mass started thinking? It does not, and never did, so that everybody of yours is in an absurd situation, caring about something that doesn't even exist.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; July 22nd, 2009 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Let me put this in a different light..

What commercials did you see that enticed you to try linux? I am almost 100% sure I could pose this question to every person in the world running linux and get the same answer.

Linux doesn't NEED an advertising campaign. It needs to keep on doing what its doing, and thats being better, and cheaper, than ALL of its competition. Everyone who found Linux was for one reason or another, looking for something different.

I think what would be an interesting social experiment is a 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon, except for linux. In other words, I bet you can't go passed seven degrees of separation before finding someone who runs linux. Linux has its own advertising campaign, its users.
    Last edited by toupeiro; July 22nd, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast