Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fs corrupting on 2 machines, one brand new

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: fs corrupting on 2 machines, one brand new

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    If you can make room on your disk for another partition, 10 gig should be plenty, you can install Debian on it & have a dual boot machine.

Most of my machines are quadrupal boot or more

jdb
    Understood. I've had dual-boot boxen in the past. I'm just not that fond of it in general.

I note you are using Xubuntu Jaunty. How is that working for you? I used Xubuntu on the smaller laptop for a number of years because it didn't have a lot of firepower.
    gila

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by gila_monster View Post
    Understood. I've had dual-boot boxen in the past. I'm just not that fond of it in general.

I note you are using Xubuntu Jaunty. How is that working for you? I used Xubuntu on the smaller laptop for a number of years because it didn't have a lot of firepower.
    I like the xfce2 desktop Xubuntu uses, it has less overhead than gnome.
    It just seems that xfce doesn't get in my way.
    I don't use it much anymore though, I just like to keep track of whats going on in Ubuntu.

My working distro is Archlinux & my favorite desktop is fluxbox.
    It takes a little while to learn how to configure Archlinux, when you first install it all you have is a root shell prompt, no other users and no desktop.
    There are no gui configurations, all configuration is done by editing files.
    That's the bad news.

The good news is there is plenty of online help and good wikis.
    The application manager (pacman) is fantasitc.
    There are packages for KDE, Gnome or about anything else a person might like.
    Configurations are simple once you get the hang of it and you never find yourself wondering what some automatic gui configuration just did to your machine.
    Another nicety is rolling updates.
    There are no version upgrades of the Arch distro.
    Applications & kernels are released continuously, the Archlinux packages lag the applications by about 2 weeks.
    I do updates every couple weeks & the one I did today loaded kernel 2.6.30.2-1.

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've been dealing with the filesystem corruption for awhile now; initially I was directed at tracker as the probable cause, but I'm not so sure, since I thought tracker was not enabled by default in a clean install. I saw the corruption problem on a brand new Kubuntu 9.04 64bit installation within a few days.

I'm using a serp4.

I had the same problem in Ubuntu. If it's a kernel problem, maybe we can use an older kernel, but for now the *easiest* fix - annoying, but easy - might be installing 8.04 or 8.10, which didn't seem to suffer from it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by glacialfury View Post
    I've been dealing with the filesystem corruption for awhile now; initially I was directed at tracker as the probable cause, but I'm not so sure, since I thought tracker was not enabled by default in a clean install. I saw the corruption problem on a brand new Kubuntu 9.04 64bit installation within a few days.

I'm using a serp4.

I had the same problem in Ubuntu. If it's a kernel problem, maybe we can use an older kernel, but for now the *easiest* fix - annoying, but easy - might be installing 8.04 or 8.10, which didn't seem to suffer from it.
    I think the bug is only in the 64 bit kernel so if you have less than 3 GB of ram a 32 bit version is another option.

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Swapping to a different kernel, as outlined in the bug report, seems to have fixed the problem for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

glacialfury, what kernel did you switch to?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12