Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on fs-corrupting kernel bug?

Beans

Update on fs-corrupting kernel bug?

A number of us System76 customers were hit by a kernel bug introduced in the kernel that came with Jaunty. This bug quickly caused massive filesystem corruption on 64-bit machines (including System76's Pangolins.) Here is the launchpad thread, :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1?comments=all

I am wondering if this issue has been resolved regarding the System76 machines. Has anyone who experienced the problem braved the upgrade to Jaunty with a newer kernel and found that the bug did not arise again? Is there any official word on how to prevent this issue?

I'm still stuck on Intrepid, and I'd like to get to Jaunty sometime before Karmic comes out... :-/

Further links to investigate:
    Last edited by phyzome; July 22nd, 2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Adding links of further interest

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Update on fs-corrupting kernel bug?

phyzome,

this seems to be limited to 2.6.28-11 -- is that your understanding as well? I'm running 2.6.28-13 (Linux Mint), and so far so good. I've been having other problems, though, that MIGHT be related.
    gila

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gila_monster View Post
    phyzome,

this seems to be limited to 2.6.28-11 -- is that your understanding as well?
    I was under the impression that the problem *started* in 2.6.28-11, and that there is no clear answer as to whether it has been fixed.

I'm running 2.6.28-13 (Linux Mint), and so far so good. I've been having other problems, though, that MIGHT be related.
    You would know. Your programs would start crashing, and when you rebooted, the OS would entirely fail to start, possibly as early as the second-stage boot loader.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phyzome View Post
    I was under the impression that the problem *started* in 2.6.28-11, and that there is no clear answer as to whether it has been fixed.

[elided]

You would know. Your programs would start crashing, and when you rebooted, the OS would entirely fail to start, possibly as early as the second-stage boot loader.
    Thanks for the clarification. So far, no issues with -13, for what that is worth.
    gila

Beans

Thanks for the clarification. So far, no issues with -13, for what that is worth.
    What machine do you have? I'm on the Pangolin Performance (specifically panp4i.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phyzome View Post
    What machine do you have? I'm on the Pangolin Performance (specifically panp4i.)
    panp4n. My problems stem from an interaction between X and the nVidia driver, and they appear to be specific to my particular box, since nobody else has seen them. I updated to the 185 driver, and all is well...for now. Currently, also running Linux Mint (long story, may go back to straight Ubuntu at the next release). Not sure if Mint has a newer kernel. I wouldn't think so.
    gila

Beans

I've been having problems with my system76 pangolin I got on July 10th. It's using 2.6.28-13. I've had fsck's on starup, program freezes and program crashes which is pretty uncool on a brand new machine. I mean, I like to tinker with my computer, but really.

note: I have disabled the nvdia driver because that seemed to have solved some problems I was having on my system76 serval machine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mike1212 View Post
    I've been having problems with my system76 pangolin I got on July 10th. It's using 2.6.28-13. I've had fsck's on starup, program freezes and program crashes which is pretty uncool on a brand new machine. I mean, I like to tinker with my computer, but really.

note: I have disabled the nvdia driver because that seemed to have solved some problems I was having on my system76 serval machine.
    Out of curiosity, what file system are the partitions using? I've read that ext4 may have some issues under Ubuntu. I have mine set to ext3 right now. Was using ext4 for a while for the root partition, but I never determined whether it was related to my nVidia/X problem.
    gila

Beans

my pangolin uses ext3 type filesystem. that's what came from system76 2 weeks ago.

note: after disabling nvdia driver I've booted 3 or 4 times with no issues. really short sample time, but so far so good.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mike1212 View Post
    my pangolin uses ext3 type filesystem. that's what came from system76 2 weeks ago.

note: after disabling nvdia driver I've booted 3 or 4 times with no issues. really short sample time, but so far so good.
    Interesting. Might not really be the kernel -- but don't quote me, it's hard to tell.

When I get home tonight, I'll dig up the instructions I used to install the nVidia 185 drivers. You can try that and see if it helps. I've had no issues since I did that (other than gnome-do sucking up a huge amount of RAM for indexing).
    gila

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast