Thread: Change log in screen background

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Change log in screen background

Does anybody know how to change the background on the log in screen in Kubuntu 9.04? When I use Login Manager the "Background" tab tells me "The background cannot be configured separately in themed mode"

Beans

Re: Change log in screen background

You really can't change the backround on it's own. It's the theme it's self that is changed. If you go into the theme directory you can change the back round of that particular theme, but I don't know exactly how those work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You can turn off the themed mode by going to the Login Manager (it's under the Advanced tab of the System Settings). On the first tab, there's a checkbox labeled "Use themed greeter". Uncheck it, and you can chage the background manually.

On the other hand, you can download themes from kde-look.org manually. Untar them (right click and choose "Extract archive here"), then copy them to the KDM theme folder, which should be /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes

You'll need root permissions to copy to that folder, so use the terminal command
    Code:
    sudo cp -r <theme folder> /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes
    After that, it should show up in the Theme tab of the Login Manager control panel.
    Last edited by Sxeptomaniac; July 21st, 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Adding information on turning off themes.

Beans
    Distro

When I use that command in the Terminal it tells me that the directory doesn't exist

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis3 View Post
    When I use that command in the Terminal it tells me that the directory doesn't exist
    Use Dolphin to check nearby directories. It's probably near there, possibly in /usr/kde/kde4/share/apps/kdm/themes or /usr/kde4/share/apps/kdm/themes. It could even be under your home directory, under ~/.kde/share/apps/kdm/themes

Beans
    Distro

Neither the Terminal or even Dolphin can find any of those directories :S

Dolphin however can find the directory in this code but the Terminal fails to detect it
    Code:
    Last edited by Genesis3; July 22nd, 2009 at 12:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis3 View Post
    Neither the Terminal or even Dolphin can find any of those directories :S

Dolphin however can find the directory in this code but the Terminal fails to detect it
    Code:
    So when you go to /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes with Dolphin, it's there, but it says it's not when you attempt to copy a theme folder using the terminal? I'm not sure why that would happen, except due to a possible typo.

The alternative is to try and start a file manager in root mode, though I've had mixed success at it. Dolphin is the usual file manager. I tried the KDE root command without success (kdesudo dolphin), but it did work as
    Code:
    sudo dolphin
    That should allow you to copy folders to the directory.

Beans

You may want to check out the kdm theme generator (and on a semi-related note, the ksplash theme generator). Doesn't look like there are debs available though.