Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to try ubuntu but i am scared

Beans

I want to try ubuntu but i am scared

Hi all, I am very new to ubuntu and i got attracted to it because i love the layout but i am a but scared as to messing up my laptop's windows vista cos i has loads of data that are very important to the success of my business so i dont want to take risks.

My questions are
    1. can i download and install/unistall ubuntu without having problem with my windows configuration, drivers etc.

2. after installing it, will i be able to install programs meant for a windows OS, like win32 autodesk Maya, Macromedia Dreamweaver, adobe photoshop, python and pyQT. what are the trade offs

3. beign a windows users, what are the challenges you think i may experience and how do i handle them.

Thanks in advance and happy new year

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: I want to try ubuntu but i am scared

Quote Originally Posted by webdezzi View Post
    Hi all, I am very new to ubuntu and i got attracted to it because i love the layout but i am a but scared as to messing up my laptop's windows vista cos i has loads of data that are very important to the success of my business so i dont want to take risks.

My questions are
    1. can i download and install/unistall ubuntu without having problem with my windows configuration, drivers etc.

2. after installing it, will i be able to install programs meant for a windows OS, like win32 autodesk Maya, Macromedia Dreamweaver, adobe photoshop, python and pyQT. what are the trade offs

3. beign a windows users, what are the challenges you think i may experience and how do i handle them.

Thanks in advance and happy new year
    since this your business computer, i'd suggest using another computer to learn/play with ubuntu on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oilchangeguy View Post
    since this your business computer, i'd suggest using another computer to learn/play with ubuntu on.
    I second this motion.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

ubuntu will install the driver for you itself (if it can)- boot to a live cd and see if your hardware works!

Wine will allow some apps to run in linux that are meant for *******
    http://www.winehq.org/

There will be challenges but it well worth it, ubuntu forums are a EXCELLENT place for help!!

You can create a vitual PC and run ubuntu in that to get used to it
    Last edited by ibizatunes; January 1st, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

see this:
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm

but not on your business computer. also i hope you have regular backups scheduled for your business computer. hard drives can and do die.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Re: I want to try ubuntu but i am scared

Hi, i´m just doing the same, but I´v installed ubuntu 8.1 as a vmware-workstation client and learned in the last 5 day´s a lot about ubuntu + zen-kernel + kernel-config.
    Don´t do it as parallel-installation to windows (xp/vista) download testversion of vmware-workstation and it´s very easy to install ubuntu as a client.
    hope this help
    ragingalf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you are new to Ubuntu, burn a copy of the Live CD. You can run Ubuntu from the CD without installing it. That way you can check out the features and see if your hardware works with it.

If you find you like it and you don't want to risk compromising your work computer, find an old computer and install Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu works well on lots of old computers, even with minimal resources.

Generally you can't install Windows program on Ubuntu, but if you get to the point where you want to dual boot or use WINE, you should be able to run whatever app you need. There are lots of free apps for Linux that you may find you like.

Keep in mind Ubuntu is not Windows. You will have to invest time learning how to do some things differently. A lot can be accomplished using the GUI interface, but be willing to learn.

Good luck.
    Last edited by caro; January 1st, 2009 at 04:05 PM.

Beans

Download VirtualBox and run Ubuntu in that.
    You can completely erase the thing if you don't like it.

I run Windows XP and Ubuntu on my mac through VirtualBox, it's great.
    Xarok the Xenomorph

Beans

the issue is that i have just one laptop for now, i am planning to get a desktop very soon, My backup resides on an external hard drive. can i still try ubuntu, then boot to windows later on with all my windows stuff still intact, I can wait to start using ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

My questions are
    You can run Ubuntu directly from the CD to see how it works. Se the link below for more information on installing along windows. In any case, back up anything that you can't afford to loose.

In general, you won't be able to run Windows programs in ubuntu/linux. However, several windows programs run with "wine" (= Wine Is Not an Emulator). If I'm correctly informed, at least Photoshop should be OK.

Python is available to ubuntu/linux

Linux is totally different from Windows so there will be a steep learning curve. Prepare to unlearn how things are done and work in windows. You will need to read and study a lot and you will be very frustrated at times so you need a patience of a saint. I propose you start reading from here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

Happy New Year!
    BR
    Hashimoto

Ubuntu user since 4.10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast