Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expanding an Ubuntu System Partition

Beans

Re: Expanding an Ubuntu System Partition

Thank you for your help. I was able to unmount my partitions and resize them successfully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have very less space available on / but when i run gparted from live cd,
    it is indicating the entire HDD as unused single partition...!!! even though I have many partitions already....

I am outputting the fdisk -l here:

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc8000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 10 1315 10485760 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 * 1315 9147 62914560 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 9148 19458 82815716 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4 * 19131 19458 2620416 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 9148 9755 4883728+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 9756 19130 75302912 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda7 19131 19458 2620416 dd Unknown

thanks in advance..!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by madhavhmk View Post
    I have very less space available on / but when i run gparted from live cd,
    it is indicating the entire HDD as unused single partition...!!! even though I have many partitions already....

I am outputting the fdisk -l here:

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc8000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 10 1315 10485760 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 * 1315 9147 62914560 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 9148 19458 82815716 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4 * 19131 19458 2620416 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 9148 9755 4883728+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 9756 19130 75302912 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda7 19131 19458 2620416 dd Unknown

thanks in advance..!!!!
    madhavhmk,

Often when you can't see the partitions in gparted it is because the partition table has errors in it. Note that sda1 and sda2 both share a common cylinder. That may be the problem.

I defer to others on partition table repair. It might be best to start a new thread more on topic with an appropriate title or do a search for partition table repair. It would probably be viewed by more viewers with experience with these types of issues.

You can search for doskfsck and testdisk among others. Be sure to back up important data before conducting any partition table modifications.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Hi, I turned off the swap (Partition, Swapoff) and the only thing that happened is that the 'key' symbol next to "linux-swap" dissapered. However, I still have 'key' symbol next to two other entries in the GParted: one is next to ext3 and the other is next to extended. I tried clicking ext file system and doing "unmount" but it told me that it can't be done because ... Most likely other partitions are also mounted on these mount points and I was advised to unmount them manually.

Any idea what to do now?

By the way, although I am a bit desperate for not being able to do what others seem to be able to with ease, I am pretty surprised that I actually managed to shrink NTFS filesystem! For a newbie like me, that's something

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kajgot View Post
    Hi, I turned off the swap (Partition, Swapoff) and the only thing that happened is that the 'key' symbol next to "linux-swap" dissapered. However, I still have 'key' symbol next to two other entries in the GParted: one is next to ext3 and the other is next to extended. I tried clicking ext file system and doing "unmount" but it told me that it can't be done because ... Most likely other partitions are also mounted on these mount points and I was advised to unmount them manually.

Any idea what to do now?

By the way, although I am a bit desperate for not being able to do what others seem to be able to with ease, I am pretty surprised that I actually managed to shrink NTFS filesystem! For a newbie like me, that's something
    I fixed it! I fixed it myself!

Actually, I screwed up myself first place. I wasn't paying attention that you MUST run Ubuntu from the CD, NOT from the computer. It actually make sense (no wonder that Ubuntu didn't let me unmount itself).

Well, I guess I should have read the post more carefully! Sorry if I caused any headaches.

My first linux problem solved!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

didn't go very good form me..

during extension of a ext3 pop up an error, and show all added free space turns out full, for instance i had 10 gb full before and 7 free, after extension i have 50 gb full and 7 free, and when restarted in Gparted shows 57 gb for ext3 but in disk analyzer shows 17?
    what's happening? where hell 40 gb came from and why i cant accesses them?

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hovrashko,

Please you post the results of the following commands:
    Code:
    df -Th
    sudo fdisk -l  # Lowercase L
    If you use Gparted, a screenshot of your current drive would be very helpful.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thanks for the thorough post, this thread and forum in general is amazing. But I would like to talk about what stumped me forever.

1. Right click the linux swap and click swapoff. This grays out the needed options otherwise.
    2. You have to think of terms of unallocated space, not partitions.
    3. Gparted is not a "merger" type partition editior, it is an add-subtract to manipulate unallocated space.

If I am wrong/misguided please feel free to correct me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Im Dual booting Ubuntu 10.04 with Win7 and am thinking about uninstalling Win7, will Ubuntu automatically take the open space for itself or will i need the change the partition manually, and is there a way i can do this from the terminal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Keskasidvar View Post
    Im Dual booting Ubuntu 10.04 with Win7 and am thinking about uninstalling Win7, will Ubuntu automatically take the open space for itself or will i need the change the partition manually, and is there a way i can do this from the terminal?
    You would have to adjust the partitions manually. Assuming you want to keep your current Ubuntu installation, the most common way would be to use the LiveCD, open gparted, delete the Windows partition (if you are sure you want to do that) and then resize the Ubuntu / partition.

Depending on the size of the adjustment, moving the Ubuntu partition could take a long time (1 hour+).

How you incorporate the old space depends on your existing partition setup - primary vs extended partitions, etc. When you are ready to change things, open up a new thread and post a screenshot of your current setup as seen by gparted. We'll then be able to give you more specific advice if you need it.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast