Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Unlock Keyring

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,342
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Unlock Keyring

    Ever since I installed Ubuntuone at boot up I get this message:
    Unlock Keyring
    This Application 'Ubuntuone-client-Applet' (/usr/bin/python2.6) wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked.
    The options are Deny or OK.
    Is this something normal? And it is something I should worry about for security reasons?
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    /earth/europe
    Beans
    1,450
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    This is completely normal.
    A keyring is where Ubuntu stores password from applications that support the keyring. If you use Firefox it's similar to the Master password option so that you don't have to re-type your different password over and over.
    You can OK-it.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

    *Docky FTW!*

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,342
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    This is completely normal.
    A keyring is where Ubuntu stores password from applications that support the keyring. If you use Firefox it's similar to the Master password option so that you don't have to re-type your different password over and over.
    You can OK-it.
    Thanks that answered my questions.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    If you disable automatic login, like they've done in Karmic, the keyring doesn't ask for a password, as you've just logged in.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    62

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    They haven't disabled auto login in karmic. When I installed karmic they still asked me if I wanted to use auto login. I said yes, which is a mistake because what they have done is disable the login manager, and so far I haven't found a way to revert back to a regular login.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    /earth/europe
    Beans
    1,450
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    Quote Originally Posted by FatalChaos View Post
    They haven't disabled auto login in karmic. When I installed karmic they still asked me if I wanted to use auto login. I said yes, which is a mistake because what they have done is disable the login manager, and so far I haven't found a way to revert back to a regular login.
    Not at my Linux box but you might try looking in the gconf-editor under gdm.
    or search in the karmic sub forum.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

    *Docky FTW!*

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NY's first capital
    Beans
    2,524
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    Quote Originally Posted by FatalChaos View Post
    They haven't disabled auto login in karmic. When I installed karmic they still asked me if I wanted to use auto login. I said yes, which is a mistake because what they have done is disable the login manager, and so far I haven't found a way to revert back to a regular login.
    I also enabled auto login. There is an option to enable/disable it in

    <System> <Administration> <Login Window> then select the Security tab.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    /earth/europe
    Beans
    1,450
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    Not at my Linux box but you might try looking in the gconf-editor under gdm.
    or search in the karmic sub forum.
    Scratch that. Didn't read carefully.
    There is no Login Window applications in Karmic. The GDM is a new code base and they didn't provide a similar tool.

    Anyway this shouldn't be discussed here but in the Karmic forum.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

    *Docky FTW!*

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,342
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    Scratch that. Didn't read carefully.
    There is no Login Window applications in Karmic. The GDM is a new code base and they didn't provide a similar tool.

    Anyway this shouldn't be discussed here but in the Karmic forum.
    Yes I agree, I started this thread out in Ubuntuone because it was not a Karmic issue.
    For the record I am back to loging in and the Unlock Keyring went away. If I do the auto login it comes back. So either way I have to login. to unlock the keyring.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Unlock Keyring

    Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Yes I agree, I started this thread out in Ubuntuone because it was not a Karmic issue.
    For the record I am back to loging in and the Unlock Keyring went away. If I do the auto login it comes back. So either way I have to login. to unlock the keyring.
    It is true that this behaviour is not a karmic only behaviour. In jaunty it exists also.

    I have managed with the network asking for permission to access the keyring by enabling the "Available to all" option. Is there a similar one in ubuntuone or a gdm option for ubuntuone to autounlock the keyring??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •