Thread: Caffeine for Linux 0.2 released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Caffeine for Linux 0.2 released

... And we're looking for feedback!

In a nutshell, Caffeine is a coffee cup that sits in your system tray, waiting for you to click it. Once you do, it fills up with coffee and keeps your computer from going to sleep or activating the screensaver. This could be really useful for when you’re playing fullscreen games that don’t inhibit the screensaver, or when you’re watching a long flash video.

For more information, you can either go to my blog, Brad Smith (the original creator)'s blog, or straight to our Launchpad page.

There you have more information about what it is, what new features there are, and what features we're planning on working on for the 0.3 release, along with installation instructions - of course.

Feedback, feature requests and general criticism is always great, so you're welcome to either leave comments on either of our blogs, or right here in this thread.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Caffeine for Linux 0.2 released

it would be great if this eventually can be expanded to replace gnome-screensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    it would be great if this eventually can be expanded to replace gnome-screensaver
    Oh it's not a screensaver. Caffeine is just an application to inhibit your screensaver, whichever that may be. Currently we support gnome-screensaver and kscreensaver. Support for Xscreensaver and stand-alone DPMS is coming.

Beans

Very usefull app .. the latest mplayer from SVN doesn't inhibit the screensaver when playing videos so now I can watch a movie without it blacking out every so often.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    Oh it's not a screensaver. Caffeine is just an application to inhibit your screensaver
    I know, gnome-screensaver is mostly a wrapper for xscreensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I reddited the first one and now I reddit the second:

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...x_02_released/

Beans
    Distro

I'm in the process of looking at the source and rather excited.

I'm not very good at coding and can have found it hard to transfer from php to python, I just don't have anything to code so never get practice.

I looked at your source code out of interest and hope, and I'm impressed, it is fairly easy to understand. The project is at the right size where I might be able to have a go at editing something for fun.

My idea for a feature is to disable the system monitor graphs on panel momentarily. This always comes in to view when I play full screen games. (I think this the problem at least).

I don't have much time, but will try make this work. No doubt it will be ugly and I'll never get it done, but thought I'd let you know

While I may not have much use for the app long term, or submit anything back, I hope you can take satisfaction alone that your project has re-inspired me as a hobbyist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by frup View Post
    I looked at your source code out of interest and hope, and I'm impressed, it is fairly easy to understand. The project is at the right size where I might be able to have a go at editing something for fun.
    Oh God. You looked at the source code? I feel embarrassed now. It needs to, and will be rewritten. Right now it's a jumbled mess.

However, I do know what you mean about the project being the right size for "jumping in" and being able to modify it to your liking without having to spend months trying to comprehend it all first.

My idea for a feature is to disable the system monitor graphs on panel momentarily. This always comes in to view when I play full screen games. (I think this the problem at least).
    Okay. Is there a problem with the system monitor graphs while playing full screen games? While that would be a problem that needs to be fixed in the system monitor applet, if you feel like trying to merge that functionality into Caffeine for fun - be my guest. However, it will probably not be merged into the official release.

I hope you can take satisfaction alone that your project has re-inspired me as a hobbyist
    Definitely. Obviously we're not making any money off of this, so seeing that people use, study or modify it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Islington View Post
    I reddited the first one and now I reddit the second:

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...x_02_released/
    Thank you. That is very much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i just got 1.01 i love it great job
    We specialize is custom work for all sports teams and any special event. we also do work for business store fronts as well as auto decals www.hometown-graphics.com http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...hicago%20LoCo/