Thread: Set Up Networking for file transfer between Ubuntu Desktop and Mandriva Laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Set Up Networking for file transfer between Ubuntu Desktop and Mandriva Laptop

I just purchased a Switch, which is connected to a WAN Router, Desktop and Laptop. Internet works fine on both, however I was wondering how to facilitate data transfer i.e LAN b/w two PCs. Desktop has Ubuntu, Laptop has Mandriva. (A distro neutral approach would be appreciated since I also use Arch in the desktop)
    I am n00b in networking, so an easy approach would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Set Up Networking for file transfer between Ubuntu Desktop and Mandriva Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Canis familiaris View Post
    I just purchased a Switch, which is connected to a WAN Router, Desktop and Laptop. Internet works fine on both, however I was wondering how to facilitate data transfer i.e LAN b/w two PCs. Desktop has Ubuntu, Laptop has Mandriva. (A distro neutral approach would be appreciated since I also use Arch in the desktop)
    I am n00b in networking, so an easy approach would be appreciated.
    Considering that you are using Arch, I will assume that you are familiar with the command line and accordingly give pointers. However, if you need more details at any point, post back for detailed commands and step-by-steps.

If you are only looking for casual transfers on a rare / occasional basis, you are best off with an ssh server running on any one system, and using scp (secure ftp) to transfer files in either direction. Use:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    Relevant settings will be in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

If you are looking at streaming and/or other home networking, you should look at setting up an NFS (network file system) on the system you would designate as a server. Use:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
    Relevant config options are in /etc/nfs

If you are looking for all-round home networking with "alternate" operating systems (ok, I'll just say it: Windows) then you can setup a Samba-based network. Use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba
    on each computer; you will need a restart after installation (at least a re-login) to use samba features.

Post back if you need more details on any of these.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Set Up Networking for file transfer between Ubuntu Desktop and Mandriva Laptop

^ ^ ^
    Thanks. NFS was set and I transferred from Laptop to Desktop.

However I have a problem.
    I can't ping to the laptop from the desktop while I can ping from laptop to desktop. Why is that happening? Is a Port blocked in Mandriva?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorted it out. It was a Firewall issue. Set up NAS too.
    Thank you prshah