Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Python Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Newbie Python Question

I would like to start to code and looking at some back issues of Linux Format python seemed to be a good code to learn. So i thought i would start off with trying to do a text editor. When i downloaded Pyword to have a look at it there were quite a few different files which confused me. I had a look around on the internet and i couldnt find an answer. So what do i need to make a basic console based text editor?

I do not have any previous experience with other languages.

Thanks Adam
    Last edited by /usr/sbin; July 20th, 2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Not Clear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Newbie Python Question

Do you have experience with any other languages?
    Asus
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 4GB DDR2
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

Beans
    Distro

No i dont, i thoguht that python seemed an easy language to start off with. Im sorry i didnt make that clear at the start.

Beans
    Hidden!

Before going right to a text editor, I'd probably start with something a little more basic if you've never used the language before. I'd recommend reading the book "Learning Python"; it's a great introduction to the language that covers most of the core features (and then some).

Edit: Once you feel comfortable with the language, you should check out Project Euler and PythonChallenge. If you can get through a few of those challenges with relative ease you're ready for larger-scale projects like a text editor.
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; July 20th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans
    Distro

Ok, thankyou for the recomendation. Where can i find this book please?
    Last edited by /usr/sbin; July 20th, 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by /usr/sbin View Post
    Ok, thankyou for the recomendation. Where can i find this book please?
    I got my copy at Barnes and Noble, but (assuming you're in the US) you might find it at Borders or another bookstore. Amazon.com has it if you like online shopping.
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans
    Distro

After a quick google search I have found the book, I will buy and read that first. Thanks for the tip

Beans
    Hidden!

No problem. After you read that, the book "Programming Python" is the most comprehensive reference/guide I've ever seen, so that might be something to check out late. It's by the same author, so if you like "Learning Python" you'll like "Programming Python".
    arch 2008.06

Beans
    Distro

I shall look into that book also. Thank you for helping me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I certainly agree with getting some experience prior to undertaking a text editor.

Also, If you want to write a text editor, why console based, rather than GUI based? <curiosity... >

That said - simplistic python/tkinter code for the *beginnings* of a simple text editor(both oo style and procedural)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=960600

post #5

Steve
    The Tcler's Wiki http://wiki.tcl.tk Tcl Developer Exchange http://www.tcl.tk SQLite http://www.sqlite.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast