Thread: Ubuntu screen resolution

Beans

Angry Ubuntu screen resolution

Hi there People, I've just joined this Forum. I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of weeks now and I'm still trying to get my head round some of the simple tasks. I don't know what the screen resolution was when I first installed Ubuntu but it always booted up with that resolution. Then a friend called and he changed the resolution so that the letters were larger and easier to read. It was great until I came to turn the computer off. When I turned it on again a day later it wouldn't boot up to the home page, It's just a mass of lines and the mouse is froze. Is there any way out of this without having to re-install Ubuntu?
    Hope someone can help,
    Plebton.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu screen resolution

Boot into recovery mode using these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode...toRecoveryMode

and then select the xfix script to reconfigure the video. You can then resume to normal mode.
    My Top Bugs - Launchpad Profile - Wiki Page

Appreciate what the severe effort of many converging wills has produced.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu screen resolution

Hi there Komputes, thnx for the info on recovery. I'm stuck at the prompt. root@Cobweb:~#
    What command do I put in at the cursor?
    Plebton.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    Boot into recovery mode using these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode...toRecoveryMode

and then select the xfix script to reconfigure the video. You can then resume to normal mode.
    Have you done everything that komputes has told you to do so?

Beans

Hi /usr/sbin, yep, I've done what he said. I've now got a black screen with the cursor flashing, waiting for me to input a command, but I don't know what to put in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    Seems you forgot this part.

Beans

You should get a blue recovery menu and not a root # prompt, unless you are using an older version of Ubuntu. Be sure you are not selecting "Root prompt" or "netroot" scripts. What version are you running?

If you type in /usr/share/recovery-mode/recovery-menu and then press enter at the root prompt, do you get this blue menu?

If none of this helps, try pressing ctrl-d at the root prompt and describe what happens afterwards.
    My Top Bugs - Launchpad Profile - Wiki Page

Appreciate what the severe effort of many converging wills has produced.