Thread: speed tweak: Use ramdisks for /lib and /usr/lib without partitions or even rebooting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

speed tweak: Use ramdisks for /lib and /usr/lib without partitions or even rebooting!

Currently, Firefox 3.5 and oowriter are both taking less than a second to start up to a full usable state. Gedit takes less than half a second. Even Emacs (X11 mode) takes only 0.416 seconds to start! (Measurements taken by running the command "time <program>," closing the program as soon as it has come up, and then noting the "user" measurement.)

This is the best performance I've had from ANY operating system on ANY computer.

Some background: /usr/lib and /lib are the two most commonly-accessed directories. Their primary function is to contain dynamically-linkable libraries (*.so files) for use by other applications. However, a few programs (notably Firefox) will install themselves entirely in /usr/lib. Improving access times for either or both of these directories will result in major performance gains.

This wasn't lost on whoever posted this thread on the Gentoo forums. However, his/her solution involved creating dedicated partitions for pretty much every directory in "/".

I looked at the thread, and I wondered if there was a better way.

Turns out there is. I did it without repartitioning or even rebooting. This is how I did it.

(WARNING: This guide involves messing with the "guts" of your system, and trying it out is discouraged unless you know what you're doing.)

First, a few considerations.

Nearly every program you're likely to run will use libraries from /lib. /lib contains the libraries which are absolutely essential to even a basic system, the same way /bin and /sbin contain binaries which are entirely mandatory. If you make a ramdisk of /lib, basically every single program you'll use will have at least a slight performance benefit. /usr/bin has many more contents, so if you make a ramdisk of it, slightly fewer programs will benefit, but you'll see larger benefits overall. In addition, as mentioned before, some programs are contained entirely in this directory. On the other hand, if you make a ramdisk of it, you'll use up a *lot* more memory. If you can, you should make ramdisks of both, but if you only have enough memory for one of them, pick /lib.

You'll also want to choose what kind of filesystems to use for your ramdisks. There are two choices available, "Ramfs" and "Tmpfs." Both will initially start at zero bytes in size. "Ramfs" will never use swap, and it will grow dynamically until you run out of memory and the kernel starts randomly killing off processes. "Tmpfs" filesystems are pegged at maximum sizes to which they can grow, and they will use swap if they have to. Keep in mind that if your ramdisks are swapping, you're loosing the performance benefit of having a ramdisk anyway. However, if only a few percent of a ramdisk is swapping, it's still an improvement.

On my system, /lib is about 660 Mb, /usr/lib is about 1.6 Gb, and I have 4 gigs of RAM. Based on this, I decided to make ramdisks of both /lib and /usr/lib, and to use ramfs for both of them. Your decision should be influenced by the situation on your computer.

First, create mountpoints for our ramdisks:
    Code:
    cd /mnt
    sudo mkdir newlib
    sudo mkdir newusrlib
    Then, mount the ramdisks using your chosen filesystem.
    for ramfs:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/newlib
    sudo mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/newusrlib
    for tmpfs:
    Code:
    #remember to change the size values to match your system! I suggest adding some extra leeway, just in case.
    sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=700m tmpfs /mnt/newlib 
    sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=1700m ramfs /mnt/newusrlib
    Then, copy the files into the ramdisks. This can take a very long time, depending on the amount of data being transferred.
    Code:
    sudo cp -r /lib/* /mnt/newlib/
    sudo cp -r /usr/lib/* /mnt/newusrlib/
    Be sure you do this right! On my first attempt, I did this:
    Code:
    sudo cp -r /lib /mnt/newlib/ #WRONG
    sudo cp -r /usr/lib /mnt/newusrlib/ #WRONG
    That results in all the files being copied to /mnt/newlib/lib instead of /mnt/newlib, and /mnt/newusrlib/lib instead of /mnt/newusrlib. I wound up needing to reboot, because not even "mv" would work! A reboot fixed it though.

Finally, mount the ramdisks over the directories on your hard drive.
    Code:
    sudo mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/mnt/newlib:/lib=ro none /lib
    sudo mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/mnt/newusrlib:/usr/lib=ro none /usr/lib
    And you're done!

More considerations:

If any changes get made to /lib or /usr/lib, those changes are going to be applied only to the ramdisks!

If this happens, here are the steps to applying those changes to your hard disk:

Code:
    sudo umount /lib  # /lib is now a directory on the hard drive once again.
    sudo cp -r /mnt/newlib/* /lib  # copy the new version of /lib onto your hardrive to make the changes permanent
    If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis, you may wish to create some new ramdisks specifically for changes:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/newlib_changes #these directories will be empty
    sudo mkdir /mnt/newusrlib_changes
    Then, when creating your unionfs filesystems:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/mnt/newlib_changes=rw:/mnt/newlib=ro:/lib=ro none /lib #all filesystems besides newlib_changes are now read-only
    sudo mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/mnt/newusrlib_changes=rw:/mnt/newusrlib=ro:/usr/lib=ro none /usr/lib
    After that, you will only need to copy files from newlib_changes and newusrlib_changes, saving you time.

Finally, you can choose to only copy some files into your ramdisks, and since the ramdisks are in unionfs with the hard drive directories, the non-copied files will come from your hard drive as normal. New files and modified files will still go in the ramdisks, though.
    Last edited by MaxIBoy; July 20th, 2009 at 01:48 AM.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: speed tweak: Use ramdisks for /lib and /usr/lib without partitions or even reboot

You might take a look at what programs like readahead and preload do. They have the advantage of not tying up memory in a ramdisk, i.e. it can still be freed by the system if necessary and made availble to a program.

For instance, you could make a list of files in /lib or whatever, then "sudo readahead-list filelist" which would cache all those files in unused memory. A program that subsequently needed to use one of these libs would load it from cached memory instead of disk.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro

Re: speed tweak: Use ramdisks for /lib and /usr/lib without partitions or even reboot

Keep in mind that ramdisks will not use up any more space than they have to.

I have both preload and readahead installed, but for me they don't go far enough. Preload doesn't like to be "assertive" about how much RAM it takes up, and as for readahead, I'd rather not maintain a list of all the files in /lib or /usr/lib. Considering the fact that i have enough ram to "go the whole hog," my solution makes sense.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

Sounds similar to what I was working on the other day. I was writing up one that would move the /bin folder to the ramdisk and then make symlinks in the bin folder to replace those. That way all the files are on the ramdisk but the references and everything are still the same. I haven't figured out how to make it so it wouldn't copy the symlinks that were already in there but copy their destination files (if you just copy the symlinks they break).

I guess we are both doing the same thing: moving the files with the executable files and the libraries to the ramdisks and running them from there. I'll have to look at your code a little more in depth to see what you are doing different. I would show my code but I was working on a livecd and I lost it due to an unforeseen issue.

Pretty good speed tweak though, just moving ooffice.sh to a ramdisk it was loading in about 1/4-1/2 a second. Can't get much faster than that. Now if you also copy your documents and other files you know you are going to be working with then you could probably open an absolutely massive document in less than a second. Oh if hard drives could be this fast.

Beans

I remember reading about this over at the gentoo forums but I never did get a chance to try it. I have a spare NetBSD partition that I'm planning on playing around with a bit and see how aggressive I can get with system configuration.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    Currently, Firefox 3.5 and oowriter are both taking less than a second to start up to a full usable state. Gedit takes less than half a second. Even Emacs (X11 mode) takes only 0.416 seconds to start! (Measurements taken by running the command "time <program>," closing the program as soon as it has come up, and then noting the "user" measurement.)

This is the best performance I've had from ANY operating system on ANY computer.
    specs? Namely ram speed thanx

Beans
    Distro

DDR2-1066, but my motherboard runs it at closer to 1100.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

I know I'm bumping a 3+ year old thread but I'm dying to get a solution that replicates this method of using RAMdisks for /lib and /usr/lib. I'm aware that unionfs has long been forsaken and that overlayfs is supposed to replace it but how can I do what is shown in the first post with overlayfs? Does anyone know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

just install preload, you'll get most of the benefit for very little work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.