Thread: Graphics card test

Beans

Graphics card test

I am concerned that my graphics card is getting ready to go out on me, does anybody have any suggestions of a way to test it? (I'm pretty new to linux)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Graphics card test

Quote Originally Posted by jazb0 View Post
    I am concerned that my graphics card is getting ready to go out on me, does anybody have any suggestions of a way to test it? (I'm pretty new to linux)
    Hi and welcome, what is the model of the graphics card and the version of Ubuntu you are using? What are the symptoms that lead you to believe you card is failing?
    You may use the command
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    in the terminal to identify your graphics.
    The terminal is located under applications, accessories.

Beans

Thank you! My graphics card is an nvidia geforce 440 go (in a toshiba laptop), and I'm using v9.04 of Ubuntu. Well, my screen has had different display problems for a while including a funny grey and white screen that looks like clouds and then turns all white, and columns flickering, etc. (Sorry, it's hard to describe it.) The only way to get out of either is with a hard reboot. I installed Ubuntu on my hard disk yesterday, and when I started up this morning the screen flickered in columns and then hung. But when I use the LiveCD everything works fine. I know that my hard dive is failing, so I'm trying to decide if that is the only problem. I hope all that makes sense!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am sorry I can not offer any help but I have seen many threads on the forums of nvidia geforce 440 issues on Jaunty.

Beans

If it was an OS issue wouldn't it show up with the livecd? (I've had a slight graphics issue for over a year). I just wish there was a way to test the card...