Thread: I removed windows and switched to Linux completely. How is it going to effect?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question I removed windows and switched to Linux completely. How is it going to effect?

Hello everyone,

I have completely switched to Linux ,removed windows and installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my DELL PC- 15R INSPIRON- 1st Gen. The PC came with already installed Win7(2 yrs back).

Now I have this doubt, is DELL Insp. OK with Linux operating systems (or Ubuntu)??
    Is there a compatibility problem with Linux(or Ubuntu) or is it fine having Linux in a system which was meant for Windows? I mean is it favourable in long run to have Linux?? Will it cause problems at a later stage??
    Satyam M.

Beans
    Distro

Re: I removed windows and switched to Linux completely. How is it going to effect?

I've been Ubuntu-exclusive on my Dell Inspiron 530 since 2007, and I haven't had anything explode yet. In general, hardware is hardware, and it's either compatible or it's not (and if not, it probably will be in the next version).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I removed windows and switched to Linux completely. How is it going to effect?

I've been running Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop for a couple of years now with no problems whatsoever.
    It came with Vista which I replaced totally with Ubuntu having ensured that the Dell Recovery Discs worked fine. If I dipose of this I'll probably put Vista back on as it might suit whoever offers me a few ££ for it. Otherwise it's staying Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gbrainin View Post
    (and if not, it probably will be in the next version).
    Or the other way around...
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans

I've still pretty new to Linux but I've messed around with it and installed it on a decent amount of hardware and virtual machines. I haven't really run into any hardware that it won't install on these days.

The biggest thing for me is getting used to using Linux and some programs, more of just getting out of the "windows habit".

Beans

I will confirm with the other users here. It won't harm the hardware because it will either work or it won't. The biggest challenge will be if you have a specific need to run an application built for Windows that does not have a Linux compatible alternative or doesn't execute properly or acceptably in WINE.

Welcome to the other side!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Welcome to the Awesomeness known as Linux! I have had no issues with Linux and my 3 dells (2 laptops, 1 Desktop).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by satyamM View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have completely switched to Linux ,removed windows and installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my DELL PC- 15R INSPIRON
    Great news!

Well if everything is working now I don't see any problem. Both my dad's Sony computer and mine HP came with windows, and now they are both fully Kubuntu.
    Rob
    Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Sync files between your comuters Back-up & Share files. Sign Up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wink Re: I removed windows and switched to Linux completely. How is it going to effect?

Okay then...!! Thanks for all your replies.......

I thought it may cause some problems in near future. Earlier I installed 10.04 and in no time I had to upgrade to 12.04(because update manager offered me to do so) and now , in 12.04 I am facing some problems.....I thought that those may be because I am running Ubuntu on a laptop which is meant for Windows, so asked here....but now I am sure......seeing that here large number of people have switched to Linux from Windows and are facing no problems....then its fine for me too......there's some other problem then in Ubuntu Installation....I 'll keep asking here questions in different communities......

Thank you all......!!!!

Party Time for the time being.!!
    Satyam M.