Thread: Best Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Best Laptop

Hello everyone. I have a little dilemma that I'm sure you can all help me with.

Basically I am going to soon be in the market for a new laptop computer. Now my laptop is my livelyhood. I am a web designer by trade, and I also am involved in heavy cyber security research and intelligence.

I need a laptop that is a real work horse. I need a powerful laptop that is portable, fast, cool and durable. I need a laptop that is capable of running an Ubuntu host while running windows in a virtual machine running adobe photoshop and flash while also ripping and encoding a video in linux. A nice high resolution would also be a must since I will use it for heavy multitasking and graphics design.

Also I need a laptop that will be capable of running perhaps 1 or 2 instances of a virtual machine for cyber security research.

Currently I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E. Now while Sony makes nice machines, it is not a real work horse and is not extremely powerful. It's a nice perhaps above average (at the time) machine that is good for multimedia, but now I am in need for something a little more intense. This laptop has:

Intel Core 2 duo 1.8 Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    250 Gig HDD
    1280 X 800 resolution

I could very well upgrade it to 4 gigs of RAM but the laptop has been overheating on me a lot and best buy seems unable to fix it (Don't ever buy a computer from them trust me).

Now for my new laptop I have been thinking about a few machines such as.

• The Alienware area51 mx15 ( I heard it's a bit bulky and doesn't have great build quality)
    • Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad W series (I know this is a real durable work horse but it is so ugly and I do like sleek and sexy looking technology)
    • Apple Macbook Pro (I like Apple's and they look really nice and I know are built well. It seems really attractive with its recent price drop but I don't really want to run OSX as I am very happy with Ubuntu)

Does anyone have any suggestions on any well built powerful laptops, or any experience with any of the above brands. I would really appreciate any help from all of you!

Thank you!
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best Laptop

try this its fully compatible

http://www.system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

philcamlin thanks for that link! My friend actually has a System76 machine and I am not really that impressed with the build quality. I really need something that is going to be extremely sturdy and well built while also offering excellent support if something were to go wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am well pleased with my Dell Latitude E6400.
    It is a small laptop with the capabilities of big ones. Fast processor, good graphics card, up to 8GB RAM, big hard drives, long battery life, and best of all, Ubuntu runs great on it, the light sensor, backlit keyboard, speakers, wireless, EVERYTHING worked 'out of the box'.
    The screen resolution with the expensive screen can go up to 1440xwhatever it is.
    I use a dual boot with vista.
    Highly recommend it
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

pizza-is-good thanks for your reply. I am definitely considering an XPS but I would probably stick with a 15.4 inch display as I need the extra space for my design work.

Right now I think it is between the XPS M1530 and the Lenovo Thinkpad w500. I am really concerned with both power and system build quality so I am unsure which one to go for.

Beans

Take a look here http://www.linux-laptop.net/

eddie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dyous87 View Post
    Currently I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E. Now while Sony makes nice machines, it is not a real work horse and is not extremely powerful. It's a nice perhaps above average (at the time) machine that is good for multimedia, but now I am in need for something a little more intense. This laptop has
    For just linux, Dell is suppose to be good and I've had a good time with it. But I can't recommend Toshiba enough, it works great with just about any x86 os I throw at it. Including Solaris. One of the only nonsun systems I've had 100% compatibility with Solaris. And works great with Linux too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I've had my issues with Toshi, i'd rather recommend a Dell than a Toshiba.
    Ubuntu XP Professional - Shameless Integration (tm)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dyous87 View Post
    pizza-is-good thanks for your reply. I am definitely considering an XPS but I would probably stick with a 15.4 inch display as I need the extra space for my design work.

Right now I think it is between the XPS M1530 and the Lenovo Thinkpad w500. I am really concerned with both power and system build quality so I am unsure which one to go for.
    You might consider the Latitude E6500, it is the same as the E6400, with the 15.4 screen, and you have the advantage that it is a newer design than the XPS. Thiner, same or more power, up to 8GB RAM, the screen resolution can go up to 1920x1200, and you get all the new little thigns like the backlit keeboard.
    Although the XPS will play blu-rays... (I'd honestly like to have that)
    Last edited by pizza-is-good; July 2nd, 2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added Information
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've got about the same question since I am no longer pleased with Dell and may be forced to buy a new laptop it they continue to give me a run around with support.

Needless to say, I don't want a Dell, but I am looking something good for gaming.