Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Intuos4 on Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Wacom Intuos4 on Ubuntu 9.04

Hi,

This is getting more and more confusing. Basically I thought I'd put my system back together like it was before I bought the Intuos. These were items 1-3 above.

Then add the existing Ubuntu wacom support
    Then overwrite the Ubuntu wacom.ko with the one created from the wacom project.

The final result would be the same as if I'd just bought the tablet and added the upgraded wacom.ko driver.

Would this not be the right way to go?

Craig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi craig100,

Sorry it's getting confusing. I just don't know how 0.8.4 does on Jaunty with the Intuos4. No one besides you has posted on it, I think. 0.8-4 says it has Intuos4 support in the changelogs.

If you want to get back to the default Jaunty configuration I'd suggest following Appendix 4 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1038949 I don't think you have to worry about the wacom.ko. The near the top of the same HOW TO is "Jaunty Users". In 1) there is a link to gali98's Jaunty HOW TO in post #104. You would only want to follow Section 1 of his HOW TO.

The modified wacom.fdi is in post #176 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967147&page=18 Shatterblast shows how to set up the Bamboo pad in post #188 on the same thread. But first with the modified .fdi wacomcpl should now work. So look at "Section 3: Calibrating Your Tablet" on the same post/HOW TO with Appendix 4 and "Jaunty Users". Now wacomcpl (enter it in a terminal) settings will survive a reboot and you can modify the .xinitrc it installs like shatterblast does.

Probably better for the pad is the Intuos4 thread. Lots of tips in it. See ceridwen's post #95 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...120029&page=10

But you won't get perfect Intuos4 support with linuxwacom 0.8.2-2. Like I said, the Intuos4 is too new for that. So that's why 0.8.4 might be better, if you can get it to work.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Favux,

I recognise all the links you've gave so I'm fairly certain my situation may be that I've perhaps made a mistake somewhere. It's the 0.8.4 version that I used. However, as I've now returned my system to the pre-wacom state by having now carried out my items 1-3 AND have removed wacom-tools and xserver-xorg-input-wacom and rebooted, I will now follow your suggestions and report back. That way, you should find out if 0.8.4 works and I might actually get it working

Craig

Beans
    Distro

Hi Favux,

Progress so far:-
    I worked down your post to the point of replacing the existing fdi file with yours. After this point, I don't this I understand your instructions. Immediately after swapping out the fdi file and rebooting, I ran wacomcpl in terminal. It just pops up a GIU with nothing in it other than an empty listbox and an exit button. Am I supposed to make some changes to the fdi file? I'm not sure.

Please advise.

Craig

Beans
    Distro

I should also point out that wacomcpl does not create a .xinitrc file in my home directory.

Craig

Beans
    Distro

Hi craig100,

OK, this is where you're getting into unkown territory. Did the default wacom.fdi give you anything with "xsetwacom list" or "xinput --list"? How about the modified .fdi? With that it sounds like "xsetwacom list" is blank which is why wacomcpl doesn't work.

The question is does a standard install of linuxwacom 0.8-4 support the HAL/.fdi features of Jaunty, or maybe that's vice versa?

Hopefully you've just installed the .fdi incorrectly and need to go over that.

Or do you need to use xorg.conf with your current setup?

Or is it possible that compiling 0.8-4 with 'libhal1-dev' installed through Synaptic Package Manager will allow you to access the wacom.fdi. If it does it is not clear to me that the modified wacom.fdi will parse the names correctly. Maybe the default will, maybe neither. But if you do that you probably can't use xorg.conf. See "Jaunty Users" 2) on that.

Beans
    Distro

Wait a minute! Stop everything!

I just remembered at least 1 other person with an Intuos4 wasn't getting the wacom.ko to kick in. Try:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep [Ww]acom
    and see if there is anything related to Wacom in the output.

If not try adding 'wacom' without the quotes to the end of "/etc/modules" and rebooting and check things out again.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, one step at a time....

With the new fdi file in place and entering "xsetwacom list" in terminal I get nothing, just returned to the cursor.

Entering "xinput --list" in terminal I get the following:-

"Virtual core pointer" id=0 [XPointer]
    Num_buttons is 32
    Num_axes is 2
    Mode is Relative
    Motion_buffer is 256
    Axis 0 :
    Min_value is -1
    Max_value is -1
    Resolution is 0
    Axis 1 :
    Min_value is -1
    Max_value is -1
    Resolution is 0
    "Virtual core keyboard" id=1 [XKeyboard]
    Num_keys is 248
    Min_keycode is 8
    Max_keycode is 255
    "Macintosh mouse button emulation" id=2 [XExtensionPointer]
    Num_buttons is 32
    Num_axes is 2
    Mode is Relative
    Motion_buffer is 256
    Axis 0 :
    Min_value is -1
    Max_value is -1
    Resolution is 1
    Axis 1 :
    Min_value is -1
    Max_value is -1
    Resolution is 1
    "Microsoft Natural? Ergonomic Keyboard 4000" id=3 [XExtensionKeyboard]
    Num_keys is 248
    Min_keycode is 8
    Max_keycode is 255
    Num_buttons is 32
    "Microsoft Natural? Ergonomic Keyboard 4000" id=4 [XExtensionKeyboard]
    Num_keys is 248
    Min_keycode is 8
    Max_keycode is 255
    "Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse? 1.00" id=5 [XExtensionPointer]
    Num_buttons is 32
    Num_axes is 2
    Mode is Relative
    Motion_buffer is 256
    Axis 0 :
    Min_value is -1
    Max_value is -1
    Resolution is 1
    Axis 1 :
    Min_value is -1
    Max_value is -1
    Resolution is 1
    "FREETALK Wireless Headset FREETALK Wireless Headset" id=6 [XExtensionKeyboard]
    Num_keys is 248
    Min_keycode is 8
    Max_keycode is 255
    Num_buttons is 32

Does this tell us anything useful to determine the next step?

Craig

Beans
    Distro

Just saw your last post, no output at all from "dmesg | grep [Ww]acom", just returns me to the cursor.

Craig

Beans
    Distro

Alright then that may be it. Your wacom.ko isn't kicking in. Try the modules thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast