Thread: Harddrive making clicking noise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Harddrive making clicking noise

Hey guys,

Recently (about 2 days ago) my laptop's hard drive started making an odd clicking noise when it starts to spin faster. At the normal volume level of the hard drive, a smooth puring sound, when I'm not doing anything that uses a lot of cpu, it sounds perfectly normal.

However, when I watch a video, do some gaming online, or anything else that is more intensive it sounds odd. Normally, it would just sound as though the drive is spinning faster, and the fan might come on, the usual sounds. Now, there is a distinct clicking noise that accelerates as the hard drive accelerates and gets louder the longer the computer is being used in that manner. As a result, I'm trying to use my computer as little as possible.

Questions:
    1. Is my harddrive about to fail?
    2. Is it going to explode or something else unpleasant? (more of a joke question, but will it take anything out with it, is it holding my RAM as hostage. )
    3. If the drive is failing, then I want to buy a new harddrive and dd the entire old drive onto it. This obviously depends on if the drive is actually failing. Is there some sort of cable that can hook up the SATA stuff to a usb port so that I can connect an internal drive externally/do they even have replacement laptop hard drives?
    4. Should I run off of a live cd with the hard drive unmounted to prevent further wear?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,
    M4rotku
    ~ Sanity is the sign of an unused mind.
    ~ I poked a badger with a spoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Harddrive making clicking noise

I guess it might be better described as a rattling more than a clicking noise.
    ~ Sanity is the sign of an unused mind.
    ~ I poked a badger with a spoon!

Beans

Whatever the noise sounds like, if the disk sounds different to normal, then it probably isn't a good sign and making some form of backup sounds like a good idea.

As long as I had my files/documents backed up to pen drive or whatever, I'd replace the drive if it did wear out then reinstall Ubuntu.

No big hassle other than the fact that laptops can be awkward when replacing parts in terms of getting inside.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Clicking or rattling means the hard drive is dying. Back up all your data NOW.

Sometimes a drive will rattle for months before it finally expires but sometimes it will go in a matter of hours.

I could write a dissertation on how difficult and expensive it can be to recover data from a failed drive, but I hope you won't need that information.

One concrete suggestion. Don't shut down your computer until you do the backup. The drive may refuse to spin up when you turn the machine back on.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have the same problem. My hdd gives out rattling sounds for like a min then stops. This happens like once a week or less. How worried should i be.

Quote Originally Posted by varun1786 View Post
    I have the same problem. My hdd gives out rattling sounds for like a min then stops. This happens like once a week or less. How worried should i be.
    If it is rattling, not making the useural `hard drive' sound (don't know how to describe it ), then you should back op your data, image the drive and replace it ASAP. hard drives are so cheep that it isn't worth risking using a drive which may die.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by varun1786 View Post
    Before you assume the worst, check that the drive is still securely mounted.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans

Make sure you always have a recent backup. Expect it to fail any moment, although mine made intermittent noises for some weeks before it failed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: Harddrive making clicking noise

The clicking noise of the hard drive could mean that the drive is on it;s last life spend.
    warning backup All your data on a external hard drive. and test you drive!.

hear is a site that mite be able to help you.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...tharddrive.htm