Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Beans

Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Hmm.. how about wireless? or will I need to do the backports fix again.
    Wireless was working "out of the box" since the beta version... although still very slow to me, even after the upgrade.

@dabl: Thanks for the reply, but I cannot make sense out of all these numbers. Is this wicd just a networking manager interface (that is how it looks to me from their website) or does it really change the network settings?

Cheers,
    fmelo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wireless was always working for me out of the box. There is a wireless switch in the bios settings.

Start up is still a bit on the slow side using conventional hard disk. A couple of minutes at least.

Only new thing in terms of function from 9.04 is that the web cam is now working out of the box.
    Kochanski-This is the first time I've ever been seduced by predeterminism theory.
    Kryten-Starbug was built to last sir. This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX81.
    Rimmer-Broadcast on all frequencies and all known languages, including Welsh.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msknight View Post
    Wireless was always working for me out of the box. There is a wireless switch in the bios settings.

Start up is still a bit on the slow side using conventional hard disk. A couple of minutes at least.

Only new thing in terms of function from 9.04 is that the web cam is now working out of the box.
    Never tried it as a "webcam" but was always able to use it to snap pics .

Start up is still a bit on the slow side using conventional hard disk.
    Is this using ext4 ?I here that speeds things up.

Beans

I have been trying to install ubuntu on a nb 200 the last week and here are my conclusions:
    ubuntu 8.04
    sound, wired network, camera works out of the box. Problem with the atheros. Didn't manage to install either by hand.

ubuntu 9.04
    no sound (from speakers, haven't tried oss), wireless, camera,
    wired net works fine

ubuntu 9.10
    no sound (from speakers), wireless, cameram wired net works. Takes ages to install

ubuntu 8.10
    sound works fine. I found out that up to kernel 2.6.26-7 sound works in all versions. The moment I updated to 2.6.27-15 sound no longer works. No wireless but its very easy to download and install ath9k drivers. After that I have very good signal and speeds with atheros. Do not install atheros drivers with backport modules because it will install 2.6.27-15 kernel also.
    camera and wired network works also. One problem with wired network if i reboot having cable atached to the card, the net appears disconnected (no matter dhcp or not). Unplug the cable, reboot, reconnect and everything ok.
    I guess I will stick with 8.10 for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, using ext4 on the hard disk that came with it. I have boosted the RAM to 2gig 800Mhz.

Installation took a little over 10 minutes once the installation questions were answered. Hard drive was partitioned as follows...

30gig root filesystem
    2gig swap
    rest as /home

Bluetooth I can live without permanently but I'm hoping that an update for the sound comes down some time soon. I haven't messed with the sound solutions because...

1) I don't have the time to mess around - life is keeping me very busy.

2) I think that the resolution is using an internal speaker rather than the proper speakers. Not good sound and not worth it. I'd rather keep it simple in the hope that it will make it easier for a future update to get it working.

Comming up, it takes a couple of minutes to start, but only about ten seconds-ish to go down.

Netbook remix is going to take a while to get used to.

Wireless connects to simple encryption no problem without having to switch to Wicd - will test with more powerful encryption systems later to see if that holds up or whether I have to switch.

The biggie for me will be this weekend, I intend swapping out my Windows XP main computer for Kubuntu 9.10. I'm documenting it on You Tube in the hope that others will gain confidence and follow suit.
    Kochanski-This is the first time I've ever been seduced by predeterminism theory.
    Kryten-Starbug was built to last sir. This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX81.
    Rimmer-Broadcast on all frequencies and all known languages, including Welsh.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
    Bluetooth is working with omnibook module:

1. Get sources from http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/362618/om...1217-1_all.deb
    2. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled in Windows
    3. sudo apt-get install module-assistant build-essential
    4. sudo m-a a-i omnibook-source
    5. Try it: sudo modprobe omnibook ectype=14
    6. Make it autoload:

• sudo nano /etc/modules
    • Put "omnibook" at the latest line
    • sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/omnibook.conf:

options omnibook ectype=14 userset=0 lcd=0 display=0 blank=0 battery=0 ac=0 bluetooth=1
    Works fine for my NB200, even enabling/disabling bluetooth via /proc/omnibook/bluetooth
    Thanks - this seems to be the only solution (I could find ) on enabling BT in NB200. Tried and need some help.

Installed the .deb and when I tried to build (sudo m-a ai omnibook-source) I am getting an error. The description for the omnibook packages says -- Suitable for kernerl 2.6.9 or above. My NB200 has the UNR9.10 installed with kernel 2.6.31.

Can anyone tell me what I should do? Thanks in advance.

Beans

I've been waiting for 9.10 to hit since I got my NB205, and it's been well worth it.
    Stuck with ext3 filesystem.

25GB Windows
    4GB root fs
    4GB swap
    Rest as /home

Will post here as issues show up.

Beans

Karmic koala runs fine so far, still no sound on the speaker, but there is a fix due, jaunty seems to be fixed in proposed.

I have Bluetooth running now and omnibook compiles fine now after some editing

here's how you do it:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install module-assistant build-essential
    Code:
    wget http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/362618/omnibook-source_2.20070211%2Bsvn20071217-1_all.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i omnibook-source_2.20070211+svn20071217-1_all.deb
    Code:
    sudo cd /usr/src/
    Code:
    sudo tar xjf omnibook.tar.bz2
    Code:
    sudo cd modules/omnibook/
    Code:
    sudo nano init.c
    hit ctrl-w and type "proc_entry->owner = THIS_MODULE;"
    when you get to that line add two // in front of it and make sure it look like this"

// proc_entry->owner = THIS_MODULE;

ctrl-o ctrl-x to save the file

now we compile omnibook

Code:
    sudo m-a build omnibook-source -O
    Code:
    sudo m-a install omnibook-source
    now we test

Code:
    sudo modprobe omnibook ectype=14
    The bluetooth should appear in you menubar

Now we make things persistent:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modules
    add the line "omnibook" (without "")

save the file

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/omnibook.conf
    add this line without "" "options omnibook ectype=14 userset=0 lcd=0 display=0 blank=0 battery=0 ac=0 bluetooth=1"

save the file and voila you are ready

reboot and Bluetooth should be fine, after sleep or hibernate it could be it malfunctions, but for that you can create a file that restarts bluetooth

like this:

Code:
    nano /etc/pm/power.d/89bluetooth
    and put this in:

"#!/bin/bash
    rmmod -f omnibook
    modprobe omnibook ectype=14" (without "")

Code:
    chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/89bluetooth
    and after sleep hibernate bluetooth should work too
    Last edited by jeroenimo; January 3rd, 2010 at 10:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you, jeroenimo, for the instructions (and Leesa for finding the omnibook modules).

There is, however, still a little snag in your instructions:
    Following them step by step, I always got a compile error. It turned out that the modifications of the "init.c" file made before starting the compilation process were always overwritten, causing the error message. What I did was change the compile command from

sudo m-a build omnibook-source

to

sudo m-a build omnibook-source -O (that is capital "O")

That way, the module assistant does no un-tar the source files again, thus overwriting the "init.c" file.

From there on, it was smooth sailing

The recovery from sleep / hibernate works fine, the commands for setting that up must be entered as "sudo", though, otherwise there will be an error.

Again, thanks for the instructions!

On a different note: I have seen this mentioned a few times in this thread, but also in other threads:

The NB205 sometimes appears to be "freezing" during boot, waking up only if you touch the touchpad or press a key. This may not be a real big deal, but it can be annoying. I had the same problem until I updated my BIOS from the original shipping version 1.2 to the latest version 1.6 (available from the Toshiba website). Not only did that solve another boot related problem for me (which was the main reason for the update), but all the random freezing effects seem to be completely gone - at least I never had a problem with those again.

Maybe that is a piece of information somebody else can use...

Beans

Thanks for the info about the new BIOS update. For those of us who've deleted our windows partion, it might be necessary to create a bootable DOS formatted USB memory stick to run the BIOS .exe update program. Any one manage to do this successfully?

I tried netbootin to create a bootable USB loaded with freedos. Except it gives an opcode error when booting from the USB to freedos. (I also tried before to put freedos on the USB using dosemu and couldn't get it to happen either.

http://0sumgain.blogspot.com/2009/11...l#comment-form
    Last edited by dimeotane; November 29th, 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: found unetbootin
    Are You the Ubuntu Guru?
    "By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.”
    ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast