Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Do you have the OSS version of skype installed?

Thanks,
    Alan
    Is it just me, or does Linux and the vast possibilities of what one can do with it tend to consume one's life?
    "When are you going to leave your mistress?" ~ my wife referring to Linux
    Ubuntu User # 15599 / Linux User # 449339

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Actually I've downloaded the default Ubuntu version of Skype. Now that I looked, they have a Static OSS .tar.bz2 version. I'll give a try when I get home and post the results.

Thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Add the medibuntu repository and you can install it from there via synaptic.

Thanks,
    Alan
    Is it just me, or does Linux and the vast possibilities of what one can do with it tend to consume one's life?
    "When are you going to leave your mistress?" ~ my wife referring to Linux
    Ubuntu User # 15599 / Linux User # 449339

Beans

If you use the omnibook module with ectype=12, you can enable the wifi without needing Windows. Also, do NOT enable bluetooth coexistance (do NOT use btcoex_enable=1) with the ath9k modules or wifi might not work. I am sure getting sound to work fully with alsa is just a matter of trying different models for the snd-hda-intel module. Also, the omnibook module might need to be removed before suspending/hibernating and re-loaded afterwards (this will cause kbluetooth4 to crash, so add export KDE_DEBUG=1 in your profile.

Here is my options.conf:

options omnibook ectype=12 wifi=1 userset=1 bluetooth=1
    options snd-hda-intel model=asus-mode4

Beans

Freeze-up vs touchpad, w/2GB PC2-5300 RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex Turbo.

I see 60--80MB/s if I continuously move my finger on the touchpad when doing "dd bs=128K if=<7GB file> of=/dev/null". If I leave the touchpad alone, I get 1--6MB/s. (No typo: there's >10 times difference.)

Confirmed on

• UNR 09.04,

• with "pm-powersave true" and with "pm-powersave false",
    • with and without the referenced touchpad.fdi,
    • on ext3 and on ext4.
    • Ubuntu Desktop 09.04 (tested non-modified installation only),
    • UNR 09.10, daily 20090810 (tested non-modified installation only).

Anyone seeing something similar? Suggestions?

PS! Booting is somewhat faster (2--3x) if I similarly move a finger around on the touchpad, but I frequently end up with a non-functioning touchpad upon boot-up if I do that.
    Last edited by ReneVYL; August 10th, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Beans

Thanks to Ultim8Fury for this useful thread!

I see the same freezes as ReneVYL...

Also, the sound quality of the internal microphone (using the ALSA solution suggested by Ultim8Fury) is much worse than in "the other OS".
    Very quiet, and noisy.

Otherwise things work smoothly.

Beans

Freezes: try to set kernel options nohz=off hpet=disable noapic.

Code:
    /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    # defoptions=quiet splash nohz=off hpet=disable noapic
    Bluetooth & omnibook:
    Quote Originally Posted by harty83 View Post
    @Leesa: you are my hero!!! How did you figure that out? Works perfectly on my nb205 as well!
    Just found and tried bluetooth manual for Toshiba Satellite... And it worked.
    Last edited by Leesa; August 10th, 2009 at 11:25 PM.

Beans

Re: Freeze-up vs touchpad, w/2GB PC2-5300 RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex Turbo.

I believe my issue, see above [http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=25], has now been fixed, by aligning the SSD's partitions to its block boundaries. Since doing that (and reinstalling) I am consistently seeing >100MB/s read speeds with dd, while the netbook is being left alone.

(That said, I am a little bit skeptical that misalignment can have that pronounced an effect but, just to be clear, I have not followed Leesa's suggestions nor done anything similarly explicit that I didn't do before.)

EDIT1: the increased dd-read speed apparently from properly aligning the partitions was a fluke, it seems. Alignment buys 10s of %, but I am back to sub-expected performance. Time to try the various suggestions by Leesa ...

EDIT2: Leesa's three suggestions: nohz=off hpet=disable noapic, seem to work. (Thanks, Leesa!) With all three in combination, I'm seeing 100--140+ MB/s read speeds, which is probably as much as can be expected from the little thing. Unfortunately, I'm out of time and will not be able to test the three options separately or in pairs for some time, unless using all three has a catastrophic impact on battery life. I'll update or repost if anything new comes up.

EDIT3: couldn't resist: nohz=off seems to be what makes (almost all) the difference. Additionally, powertop reports <8.5W idle power usage with nohz=off vs >11W when nohz=off is not specified.
    Last edited by ReneVYL; August 11th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

I'm having this curious problem using UNR 9.04... I never used my netbook (Toshiba NB200) for a long time because I was in home and I have my desktop computer. But now that I'm using it, I can see that after some time, my WiFi stop working.

If I'm connected, after something like thirty minutes to one hour, I lose my connection and I can't connect back. I still can scan all the networks next to me, even my own network, but I can't connect, it stays as "connecting" for a few minutes until it does not connect at all.

I was using Windows before using UNR and the WiFi was working ok 24/7, that's why I've discarded a router problem (and I have other computers WiFi connected to this router and working).

I don't think anybody else here is having problems with the WiFi, but I'm having this curious one and I don't know what to do. I always lose my connection, so it's really ******* me off.

I, as anyone else, enabled the WiFi installing the linux-backports-modules-jaunty.

Someone else is having the same problem, or by any chance knows how to solve this?

Beans

I have the same issue regarding WIFI reliability. Sitting next to my router, I get ~70%.

When I get disconnected, I try clicking againg on my network and when this fail, I disable wireless and re-enable it (right-click on the network icon).

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast