Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

I have the NB205.

9.10 UNR Alpha 6 is mostly working.

Bluetooth and sound-out do not work. There are some folks Canonical kernel folks working on this to try and get it fixed before the Karmic release.

Hibernate seems to work like shutdown, not hibernate and checkbox (hardware-testing) crashes on sending bug reports to launchpad.

Don't count on everything being fixed by Karmic but there are folks looking into it for the NB200/205 series. If I get more info I'll pass it along.

I'm getting about 6 hours on the battery vs 9 with XP. I never launched XP. I overwrote it immediately with Ubuntu and the previous problems of having to enable something first in XP before installing Ubuntu appear to be addressed in the latest Karmic kernel.

Your mileage may vary.

Joey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Got word that a Canonical developed sound fix was sent upstream a few weeks ago but hasn't been applied yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ultim8Fury View Post
    So you have a Toshiba NB200 / Dynabook UX / NB205. Some things don't work out of the box in Jaunty UNR 9.04. The following guide should help get as much as possible up and working. I'll try to keep it up to date.

WiFi -

First and foremost if you want WiFi to work in Linux the DO NOT turn it off in Windows. A mistake I made and have learnt from. Turning off the WiFi in Windows will disable the WiFi in Linux, completely. The best you can hope for then is that the interface shows up in ifconfig. It will not broadcast or detect any signals. You can ensure it's on by the presense of the the WiFi LED on the front of the machine.

Making WiFi work once activated is simply a matter of

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty
    Congratulations you've made WiFi work.
    doesn't works on my toshiba NB200...what I can do?
    Last edited by donmatas; October 5th, 2009 at 04:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by donmatas View Post
    doesn't works on my toshiba NB200...what I can do?
    Upgrade to Karmic. I'm working with the kernel engineers to get all this fixed in time for the release. See above bugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey guys,

Not sure if these will be of any use to anyone, but they are really simple bash scripts to turn camera on/off and turn bluetooth on/off, they are based on ReneVYL's trick.

They work for me so far, and don't seem to be harming anything.

If you want to use them, stick them in /usr/local/bin.They will need to be run as root. You can verify they work by running lsusb before and after running them. You will need to replace BUS_AND_DEVICE_NUM_GOES_HERE with the bus and device number of the camera/bluetooth device. In my case I'd replace it with 1-2 for the camera, and 5-2 for my bluetooth.

Camera/Bluetooth ON
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Make sure only root can run our script
    if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
       echo "This script must be run as root" 1>&2
       exit 1
    fi

echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/BUS_AND_DEVICE_NUM_GOES_HERE/power/level
    Camera/Bluetooth OFF

Code:
    same as above, replace on with suspend
    So long and thanks for all the fish

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post
    Upgrade to Karmic. I'm working with the kernel engineers to get all this fixed in time for the release. See above bugs.
    thanks, when is the release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by donmatas View Post
    thanks, when is the release?
    29th of october

Beans

I have a new NB205-N310, with a 2GB SODIMM. Over the weekend, with one eye on this thread, I installed sidux/KDE4 and then (to compare desktops and performance) Elive 1.9.47 (development version). The Kubuntu 9.10 Beta daily live site wasn't cooperationg, so I booted the Ubuntu UNR Live CD, 3 OCT daily build, but the desktop is not at all to my taste, so I didn't go further with it. KDE 4 on sidux was a bit sluggish, even though sidux is very fast. The Elive Enlightment desktop seems fastest, by quite a bit, so I went with it. The same gsynaptics fix for the touchpad, with the fdi file in the OP, works for both sidux and Elive. For Elive, the "tapping" option needs to be disabled in gsynaptics to prevent the menu popping up whenever you move the mouse cursor. Everything else except audio "just works" out of the box -- webcam with cheese, wireless with wicd.

So, about the sound. The good news is, I installed OSS and libasound2-plugins, and it does indeed work fine with audio players and with flashplugin-nonfree in the mozilla browser. I didn't find it difficult to do -- about 5 steps and you're good to go (I didn't have to remove pulseaudio, however -- it wasn't installed). The bad news is, the speaker volume is pathetic (same issue as Windows users report). I'm about to develop my skills with ossmix -- we'll see if I can make it better.

That's the report -- this is an excellent thread and I wanted to make my teeny contribution.

EDIT: YES! -- use a terminal window to run ossxmix, and in the GUI push up the PCM 1 volume slider, and you get very respectable (for a netbook) speaker output.
    Last edited by dabl; October 19th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

OK Folks, it looks like Toshiba is working double standards.

On the one hand they say that Linux was removed because of lack of feedback from the Linux community. However, they just won't give me an e-mail address so that the Linux community can send in comments.

Sounds to me like they want to ditch Linux

Comming in the next couple of days ... the e-mail address of one of the customer service people at Toshiba so that people can mail the bloke directly.
    Kochanski-This is the first time I've ever been seduced by predeterminism theory.
    Kryten-Starbug was built to last sir. This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX81.
    Rimmer-Broadcast on all frequencies and all known languages, including Welsh.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast