Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add Crucnhbang to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Add Crucnhbang to Ubuntu

I've been playing around with the Crunchbang live CD and I do enjoy the minimal GUI. It remind me of my Win2000/Litestep days.

I was wondering if it was possible to add the Crunchbang desktop to my Ubuntu install. I do not want to start with a clean install and I do not want to dual boot.I also would like to retain my Ubuntu desktop and have the choice of which to use at login. Just like choosing Gnome or KDE.

Could I simply install over Ubuntu, choosing not to format any partitions?

Could I simply add Crunchbang's repositories to synaptic and then install Crunchbang-desktop?

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Add Crucnhbang to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RD1 View Post
    I've been playing around with the Crunchbang live CD and I do enjoy the minimal GUI. It remind me of my Win2000/Litestep days.

I was wondering if it was possible to add the Crunchbang desktop to my Ubuntu install. I do not want to start with a clean install and I do not want to dual boot.I also would like to retain my Ubuntu desktop and have the choice of which to use at login. Just like choosing Gnome or KDE.

Could I simply install over Ubuntu, choosing not to format any partitions?

Could I simply add Crunchbang's repositories to synaptic and then install Crunchbang-desktop?

Any suggestions?
    You could, but it is not recommended. You would be better off to install Openbox and configure it how you want it. http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/, this guide should be of help.

Beans
    Distro

You could, but it is not recommended. You would be better off to install Openbox and configure it how you want it. http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/, this guide should be of help.
    Maybe I'll just go that route. I do like the fact that Crunchbang has so much of the configuration done already.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by RD1 View Post
    Maybe I'll just go that route. I do like the fact that Crunchbang has so much of the configuration done already.
    That is a plus to Crunchbang, I kinda liked it, but found it missing some things, and it automatically turned off my screen, which messed up my resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

CrunchBang=Ubuntu+Openbox+Configuration

It is not hard to make your Ubuntu installation become "#!CrunchBang"

Beans

if you run crunbank liveCD, you can copy openbox configuration, copy folder /home/usuario/.config/openbox to a pendrive.
    In ubuntu, install openbox, copy the configuration to your ubuntu instalation configuration, check menu and install other app crumbang use
    mujeres y hombres de esta tierra
    un otro mundo es posible
    otro mundo diferente
    justo si, y sin miedo de su gente

Beans
    Distro

That is a plus to Crunchbang, I kinda liked it, but found it missing some things...
    Which is why I want to keep my Ubuntu install.

if you run crunbank liveCD, you can copy openbox configuration, copy folder /home/usuario/.config/openbox to a pendrive.
    In ubuntu, install openbox, copy the configuration to your ubuntu instalation configuration, check menu and install other app crumbang use
    Now why didn't I think of that?! Sounds like the way to go.

Beans

Hi RD1,
    Crunchbang has an install script. You can install it on top of your existing Ubuntu install by following these instructions: *edit: see below*
    Last edited by snowpine; July 19th, 2009 at 05:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jjgomera View Post
    Actually you dont need live cd. Default is posted here for reasons if sometimes messing with it its messed up http://crunchbang.org/wiki/crunchban...-conky-config/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thats conky config file not openbox config. I would do as suggested above, just copying it from crunchbang. Openbox can be a pain from scratch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast