Thread: Music - Adjust Speed w/o Changing Pitch?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Music - Adjust Speed w/o Changing Pitch?

In WinXP I used to use a FOSS program called clogamp to slow music down and speed it up on demand (without changing the pitch - no super-deep or chipmunk voices) in my dance class... it kinda sorta works in Ubuntu with Wine, but I'd rather use something that works in Linux. I'm aware of one from the Ubuntu repos, and I played with it a little but it's not as good as clogamp in Wine. Soes anyone know of another I should try?

Thanks,
    Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Music - Adjust Speed w/o Changing Pitch?

Well, you can do this in audacity, and play it there. Easy. But I know thats not what you mean.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

It works in Audacity. I think it's called change Tempo (I think there's also one that does pitch). I like playing around with Audacity sometimes, it's fun

EDIT: Yeah, just import the file, press CTLR-A to select all, then go Effect > Change Tempo

Click here to install it (in Ubuntu)

EDIT2: Looks like clogamp should compile in Linux, give it a try!
    Last edited by doorknob60; July 17th, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Alsaplayer can change the speed, but I can't remember if it maintains the pitch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    It works in Audacity. I think it's called change Tempo (I think there's also one that does pitch). I like playing around with Audacity sometimes, it's fun

EDIT: Yeah, just import the file, press CTLR-A to select all, then go Effect > Change Tempo

Click here to install it (in Ubuntu)

EDIT2: Looks like clogamp should compile in Linux, give it a try!
    +1. Ditto about Audacity. I've played around in it a little (made some binaural beat tracks). Audacity can definitely change tempo without changing pitch.
    Registered Linux user #481459

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli Bob View Post
    Alsaplayer can change the speed, but I can't remember if it maintains the pitch.
    Alsaplayer changes the pitch (great audio player btw)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful! I've been hoping to dump Winblows from the laptop I use for the dance class, and this was the last hurdle. I can be Windows free now! Yippieeee!

-Robin

Beans

I was actually looking for a way to do something similar (I need to play interview transcripts slowly enough to catch what's being said but still be able to recognise people's voices). I figured out how to do it with mplayer, together with the tap-pitch plugin. Unfortunately I can only get it working from the commandline, but if you're happy with that, it might work for you. It has the advantage that you don't need to actually alter the file - it just works as a filter to change the playing parameters. It won't work for you if you need to change things dynamically (increase or decrease tempo while the music is playing). You can look at my notes to see if it might be useful:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1226982