Thread: GStreamer broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

GStreamer broken

All of my GStreamer apps (Totem, Banshee, etc) have ceased functioning properly. Totem plays back video at only a few frames per second and plays no audio and Banshee will not play music. Before I installed the xine backend, Amarok also did not play music.

This started just a few days ago. I'm not sure what I did to change it. The only major change I can think of is adding the kubuntu-experimental and kubuntu-backports repositories to my sources.list so I could upgrade Amarok and Konversation.

Any ideas on where to start?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: GStreamer broken

downgrade all gstreamer plugins to jaunty fix your problem

for that open synaptic select all gstreamer plgins Pakage menu>Force version and select to jaunty version and apply

--- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Beans
    Distro

A simple restart fixed it, oddly enough. Now I look like an alarmist.

I'll keep the forced version trick in mind, though.

Beans
    Distro

SCRATCH THAT

It regressed again. I checked Synaptic for downgrades, but I only have the current versions installed, anyway. Looks like GStreamer was unaffected by the KDE upgrade.

Another thing I noticed: This problem seems to go hand-in-hand with an issue wherein closing a Firefox tab with a Flash video open causes the browser to lock up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by vinutux View Post
    downgrade all gstreamer plugins to jaunty fix your problem

for that open synaptic select all gstreamer plgins Pakage menu>Force version and select to jaunty version and apply

hi vinutux, im newbie here, i had the same problem too with amarok, i want to follow the step that u are telling us, but can u tell me the step by step to do 'force version'. i select gstreamer plugins then open the package menu but the 'force version menu' still cant be selected.
    thanx in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: GStreamer broken

Quote Originally Posted by jetta View Post
    hi vinutux, im newbie here, i had the same problem too with amarok, i want to follow the step that u are telling us, but can u tell me the step by step to do 'force version'. i select gstreamer plugins then open the package menu but the 'force version menu' still cant be selected.
    thanx in advance and sorry for my bad english.
    Force Version fix is only for that people who installed or upgrade gstreamer plugins from un-official repos.... like mediubuntu.

upgrade to some new apps from thirdparty sites or from PPA causing installing diffrent gstreamer versions...that broke stable workable gstreamer system..if you are not installing anything from other repos this fix is not for you....you have some other problems.

Anyway make is clear.....give more infos about your problem help us to fix it........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi gus, i've fix my problem with amarok. fyi check this thread..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=amarok
    cheers..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by vinutux View Post
    Force Version fix is only for that people who installed or upgrade gstreamer plugins from un-official repos.... like mediubuntu.

upgrade to some new apps from thirdparty sites or from PPA causing installing diffrent gstreamer versions...that broke stable workable gstreamer system..if you are not installing anything from other repos this fix is not for you....you have some other problems.

Anyway make is clear.....give more infos about your problem help us to fix it........
    thanx for ur explaination

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: GStreamer broken

Quote Originally Posted by jetta View Post
    thanx for ur explaination
    welcome.........bro