Thread: Pydee - a Matlab like IDE for python

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Pydee - a Matlab like IDE for python

I just came across an interesting software: Pydee http://code.google.com/p/pydee/. It is a Python development environment that looks very similar to Matlab.

I just installed from source and after initial testing it has a very nice feel to it. Indeed with numpy+scipy+matplotlib the experience is very Matlab like, but it seems nice also for general python development.

It is also cross-platform, which is nice for me because I also need to use windows for teaching (we only have windows in classrooms) I also like cross platform tools in a sense that they can help post grad students to migrate to *nix, which so much more powerful in our line of research.

Just thought to let you know, in the hope that this helps someone I know I have spent quite some time looking for a good python environment.
    Last edited by ahmatti; July 16th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Pydee - a Matlab like IDE for python

Looks nice. Although I need help in installing. I downloaded the tarball, but there are no configure or make files. How exactly do I install it? Thanks.
    Happy GNU/Linux user. Not so noob anymore!
    There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by prvteprts View Post
    How exactly do I install it? Thanks.
    This is from the Pydee wiki http://code.google.com/p/pydee/wiki/Installation:

First install the depency:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-qscintilla2
    Then install with the command:
    Code:
    sudo python setup.py install
    Worked for me!
    Last edited by ahmatti; July 19th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks! I tried running setup.py but I did not know that I was missing some dependencies. Though it seems Pydee is not very well documented. Any idea where I could find a decent manual or tutorial?
    There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not apart whats on the website. It is easy enough to use though so you should be able to figure it out The menus show the accelerator keys e.g for executing code from the editor in the console. Also you can drag the IDE windows (editor, console,history etc.) to different location using the mouse and the website shows the different start up options.

All in all the experience is very Matlab like.

HTH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, it's easy enough that I could use it right away. I just wish they or someone else would write a manual for it. Thanks for everything!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

bookmarked this - thanks for the info. I'll try it out. I'm new to python, i'm currently taking a course... a good IDE for linux would be a nice help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by disophisis View Post
    bookmarked this - thanks for the info. I'll try it out. I'm new to python, i'm currently taking a course... a good IDE for linux would be a nice help.
    The project was recently renamed to spyder. The new url is http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/