Thread: Buy New Laptop in September 09

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Buy New Laptop in September 09

Hi,

My old (not yet) laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with 512MIB for RAM. And I want to buy a new laptop to stay with me for the next 5 years (by default or on upgrade) until 2014. And of course I will install just UBUNTU on it.

I don't want netbooks. And for compagnies there is no preferences, just a laptop full compatible with ubuntu.

For the price: I want it under 1000$.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Buy New Laptop in September 09

There's numerous threads on this issue here in the Forums.

But as many people will suggest, you should check out System76 whose laptops are designed to run Ubuntu. I also like Asus, but they're more likely to be at the higher end of your price range, if not higher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You are right, there is a lot of posts regarding this issue.

But I thought it was important to see others opinions especially when it comes to something that changes and developps by time. The suggestion of system 76 is a good one and I should take that in consideration, but as you have might seen I live in Egypt and those laptops are less known here than HP or Dell.

But as I'm searching for something different I will their availability in the middle east region and compare them to other brands.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Personally, I've never been a big fan of HP's - most people I know that have them have ended up having issues, but that's just from my experience.

Dell's can come preinstalled with Ubuntu, so they might be a good choice for you (I know they do in US and Canada, not sure about the rest of the world though).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't know much about the brand or Benq, but they are putting out a range of eco-friendly, long battery life machines around the end of the year (they told me themselves) so I am waiting how that pans out. I have been in the market for a netbook for awhile but decided to hold off until late this year/early next to see if the new ARM processors had made an appearance by then. Maybe that is the plan with the new Benqs, among other brands.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Buy New Laptop in September 09

But what about Thinpads. The person might sacrifice some money to get something reliable and that work.

But I'm afraid because of the deal with Lenovo. And now the IBM trademark (as I undersatnd from the deal) will not be used after 2010; just Lenovo.

I don't know a lot about Lenovo, but Lenovo is chineese. China is well known to just give you the look and feel of the original part. But you it is never original!