Thread: Compiz color filters causing X to crash

Beans

Compiz color filters causing X to crash

I've been trying to use the Compiz color filters (enabled the Compiz Config Settings Manager), but whenever I enable the plug-in and then turn it on for a window or for the whole screen, X freezes up and then dies roughly 15 seconds later. During this time I'm able to move the mouse cursor, but nothing else happens on the screen. After the crash, I get the gdm login screen.

I can't seem to find any info about the crash in my Xorg.0.log, nor in my ~/.xsession-errors file. However, when I enable the filters (but before I actually turn them on and crash it), I get this in my .xsession-errors:

Code:
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter negative (item negative).
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter negative-green (item negative-green).
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter blueish-filter (item blueish-filter).
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter sepia (item sepia).
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter grayscale (item grayscale).
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter deuteranopia (item deuteranopia).
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter protonopia (item protonopia).
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Warn: Tried to load 7 filter(s), 6 succeeded.
    It says only 6 succeeded, but there are files for all 7 present in /usr/share/compiz/filters.

Other possibly useful info:
    • The Negative plug-in works for a single window, but not for the whole screen. When I try to turn it on for the whole screen, there's no crash -- it's just that nothing happens. This is the standalone Negative plug-in, not negative filter file in the Color Filter plug-in.
    • The machine is a Dell Mini 9 with Intel 945GM graphics, running Jaunty.

Any ideas on what's happening here? My installation is pretty new and I haven't done much to it.
    Last edited by wch; May 3rd, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Beans

Re: Compiz color filters causing X to crash

I encountered this same problem. As far as I can tell, this has something to do with having more than one filter enabled (like, present on the list of filters). It seems I can have any one filter on the list and it will work fine, but if I try to have two or more, it will crash X as soon as I try to turn a filter on. Hope this helps.