Thread: Is it possible to receive the latest updates through Synaptic?

Beans

Is it possible to receive the latest updates through Synaptic?

There is an annoying bug in the version of Transmission (1.51) in Synaptic for Ubuntu 9.04. I can install the latest (1.72) manually, but I was wondering if it's possible to get the latest stable releases in the repo? It would be great for other software too, like Firefox 3.5.

Thanks in advance!
    "Maybe I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot" -- Homer Simpson
    My sites: Simpson Crazy // Toon pictures // CodeLair // Instant Song Lyrics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Is it possible to receive the latest updates through Synaptic?

If they are not on the repo that means that they are not tested and released by ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Once the software release is considered a stable release, the repos are updated. I do not think beta versions are usually included.
    The true measure of persons is how they treat someone who can do them absolutely no good.

- Samuel Johnson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fully216 View Post
    Once the software release is considered a stable release, the repos are updated. I do not think beta versions are usually included.
    No, I'm talking about the stable versions. Firefox 3.5 and Transmission 1.72 are both stable releases but have not been updated. There are a few other apps that are 2-4 (minor) versions behind.
    "Maybe I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot" -- Homer Simpson
    My sites: Simpson Crazy // Toon pictures // CodeLair // Instant Song Lyrics

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by svivian View Post
    No, I'm talking about the stable versions. Firefox 3.5 and Transmission 1.72 are both stable releases but have not been updated. There are a few other apps that are 2-4 (minor) versions behind.
    I repeat, they must be stable versions for the product developers but till they arent tested by ubuntu team, they wont be updated on repo.

Cheerz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Is it possible to receive the latest updates through Synaptic?

Well install from synaptic is just an option(the best ). If you really really need and want a newest version, you can always search for it on the internet for deb file or source to compile . I always don't bother if it is not in the synaptic.
    I LOVE YOU........
    ...:::::::HUONG:::::::...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Fully216 View Post
    This isn't really true.

The general rule is that after Ubuntu version is released, it's packages are not updated any more (for other than security reasons and to fix serious bugs). If there's a new version of a program it will be added to next Ubuntu release, not any of the current ones.

The package versions available with the original release are the ones that were tested to work with everything else doing the development, and properly testing each new program version and their dependencies after release wouldn't be possible.

There are couple of way hows this basic rule can be extended to allow some new software, but these are very limited cases and you certainly shouldn't expect any software to update for any other than security reasons.

So, if you want latest program versions you need to look for other sources than Ubuntu's official repositories. Actually these days that's pretty easy, you'll quite likely to find a PPA repository that provides latest versions of the program you want. But if you are really obsessed about always having the latest program versions you should look into some rolling-release distribution, not Ubuntu.

edit: If you find a PPA or some other third-party repository for your program, you will of course be able to install & update that program through package manager just like any other software you have. It's just that the new program versions are not going to appear in Ubuntu's official repositories.
    Last edited by mcduck; July 14th, 2009 at 12:53 PM.

Beans

If you want to use synaptic so you get updates pushed out to your machine, but want more bleeding edge versions of your software than are present in the ubuntu repos, you need to find another repository or ppa to add.

e.g.:

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/06/...itory-deb.html

Hope that helps.

Be aware of what you are doing though..

Beans
    Distro

For me, best thing to do is update only from ubuntu official repos, because some programs must be stable and tested from their developers but maybe it will mulfuction with any other software or library on your machine. It's just and adwice. Mozilla 3.0.11 works really fine so there is not any major need to update to the latest one.

Cheerz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Is it possible to receive the latest updates through Synaptic?

Once you go out of the Ubuntu repository for Synaptic and apt then the system will become or be in an "unstable" stste.

The software in the repos is tested and stable and should deliver acceptable performance for any given system.

Is is possible to add your own ppa's and sources for software that you feel that you need.

I did this with FF 3.5. I am using Hardy and I use the ppa for the development version so I get updated daily with new FF 3.5 packages.

But I'm on an LTS version of Ubuntu, so I keep it as stock as possible.

Just add the sources from the package web page to your sources.list and you will always have the newest version of that application. Watch out for dependencies though. Sometimes they will tie you up.

Here are the ppa's for you to add from the Transmission website:

http://forum.transmissionbt.com/view...hp?f=13&t=5604

Installing the ppa will automatically update the app when new software is available, just like if were installed stock.
    Last edited by steveneddy; July 14th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.