Thread: separate partition

Beans

separate partition

I have a drive with a c partition for windows and a f partition I just did a reformat on. I have vista on my c partition and want to put ubuntu 9.04 on my f partition. What will happen when I put my ubuntu intall in? Will it give me the option to put ubuntu on my f drive, put in a dual boot scenario, so it won't mess up vista? Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: separate partition

The install will see the Windows partition and since you have an unused partition it should ask whether you want to install there. Any choices will be yours to make. It will not show up under Ubuntu as drive "F" unless that is the label you have given it. If the partition is the only other one on the disk and if you have only a single hard drive it typically will show as:
    sda1 (Windows partition) and sda2 (the free partition). The installation will create a smaller partition for a swap space. The install will format the partition as ext3 but you can designate others if you want. You should go with the recommended format the install gives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Yes you will be able to dual boot

Just be sure to understand Linux partitions first and do not install into the wrong partition.

See :

HowTo: Partitioning Basics - Ubuntu Forums

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!

Remember to choose manual install though

Beans

Thanks you guys You have sure cleared things up. when I first put the disc in.. I ran it so it wouldn't hurt windows and I am going to like it. I've gone as far as I want to go with windows, and I am really good at reinstalling it. Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: separate partition

Quote Originally Posted by dbquick View Post
    I have a drive with a c partition for windows and a f partition I just did a reformat on. I have vista on my c partition and want to put ubuntu 9.04 on my f partition. What will happen when I put my ubuntu intall in? Will it give me the option to put ubuntu on my f drive, put in a dual boot scenario, so it won't mess up vista? Thank you in advance.

Normally for my XP, YES
    I LOVE YOU........
    ...:::::::HUONG:::::::...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The OP would not need to use manual install if he has an empty partition that Ubuntu can recognize and use. "Guided" would work just fine for a basic installation. By "basic" I mean no separate /home partition. I believe that Ubuntu would create an extended partition, then two logical partitions inside the extended partition. One for the OS, and one for swap. That means the new logical partitions would be recognized as sda5 and sda6.