Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UBUNTU disaster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

UBUNTU disaster

Just now I decided to upgrade from Intrepid Ibex to Jaunty... then after I finished and restarted the PC funny things started happening right away:

- The apps & Internet (Frfx) windows that I just opened don't appear to have a corresponding "rectangle" visible on the startup panel ("window list" 2.26.0)

- all stored shortcuts gone, including the ones on the F buttons

- Printscreen button isn't responding

- most amazing of all: all opened windows (and I mean ALL: whether it be installed apps., Internet or even dialogue popups) have no edges at all!!! They all appear for lack of a better word "shaved". An this means I am having a huge difficulty using my ubuntu! Just to make it clear: by "edge" I mean the top bar where the title of the page automatically appears and where on the top-left side is a standard drop-down menu and where on the top-right side are those three standard buttons: minimize, maximize and close [X] buttons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: UBUNTU disaster

Likewise the side and bottom of the edges are gone also. So I cant move any of the windows. And resizing is only possible from the "triangle" at the bottom-right corner and not from elsewhere on the edge of the windows/boxes.

Beans
    Hidden!

It sounds like your window decorator or manager is crashing.

Is, by chance, your video card an ATI?
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Two words for you (learn them, love them, LIVE them):

CLEAN. INSTALL.

Beans

Clean install, backup your dater, download and install 9.04 with 2 partitions one fore /home and / using ext4 file system, this will make your computer run faster
    best of luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is exactly what I was afraid of - this is why I didn't upgrade when Jaunty appeard on April.

I want to uninstall. Right now it is not possible for me to take the time and learn the basics of Ubuntu or linux. Weekend is the time for that. Right now I want to access my programmes and the internet ASAP

So my question is: how do I "un-upgrade"? I wanna go back to where I was: back to Intrepid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    It sounds like your window decorator or manager is crashing.

Is, by chance, your video card an ATI?
    Nvidia

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

new version and with it come the new graphical "enhancements" lol

you'll probably need to make some adjustments to suite your own tastes

it would be great if upgrades would leave you with your pre-upgrade settings and then just advise you that there were new "enhancements" that you might want to try out...instead of just making the new stuff the default...

go figure...

title is a little over the top though, since you're not dead in the water with all your data going up in smoke...

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Jerriy View Post
    Nvidia
    in system or administration there is a selection called "hardware drivers" or something similar

you'll probably need to enable those drivers and everything will work properly then

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I went to Control Center >> look and feel >> Windows

Then I just got slapped a red sign iconed message:
    Cannot start the preference application for your windows manager

Windows manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration tool

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast