Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinstalling 9.04 question...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Reinstalling 9.04 question...

I have been trying to work with my less than perfect 9.04 install and am now to the point that i am going to do a reinstall from the live dvd...

my skill level is not quite novice...

with the reading i have been doing i am to the point where i want to do the re install hopefully the right way this time...

i have 4 mem and a 320 hdd...

my objective is to try my best to avoid windows so at this point i want to only install 9.04...

i would like input on the following questions if possible...

1. am i understanding what i am reading by thinking i will need a root, home, and swap partition ???

2. will root and home need to be set up as ext 3 partitions ???

3. is the swap partition necessary ???

4. i would like the hibernation option when the install is finished...

5. am i forgetting/missing anything ???

6. can i get suggestions as to the size of these partitions ???

thanks in advance...

Beans

Re: Reinstalling 9.04 question...

assuming you mean 4gig of memory and you don't use suspend or hibernate, you don't techincally need to have a swap space but I still make one with 3gigs of ram.

answers:
    1. see above

2 ext3 or ext4, your choice

3. see above

4. then you will need a swap partition at least as large as your ram

5. not that I can think of

6. / around 10 gig (mine is 27gig and I'm using 3.7gig) swap 1.5times the amount of ram should be safe /home whatever is left
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1. no, but it is a good idea...since further re-installs will only require you to re-format the root partition and you can leave all your /home files alone.

2. yes

3. yes

4. hibernation involves dumping the contents of your ram to hardrive, so you need to make sure that your swap drive is large enough to contain the entirity of the ram.

5. maybe backup your current home files etc

6. /swap : 4.5gb /root : 15gb /home : rest of the drive ( remember /var/apt/cache is where all your deb packages initially are stored when using synaptics or apt-get, so the size of your root partition needs to have this taken into consideration )
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by NOTAGEEK View Post
    1. am i understanding what i am reading by thinking i will need a root, home, and swap partition ???
    You can skip the /home partition if you don't intend to do fancy stuff like sharing your /home between distributions (dangerous). The merits of having a separate /home partitions exist, but are debatable.

2. will root and home need to be set up as ext 3 partitions ???
    ext3, ext4... pretty much anything except vfat and ntfs. ext3 is the current standard, ext4 is more bleeding edge.

3. is the swap partition necessary ???
    Yes, if you want to be able to hibernate, or if you have little memory (4 mem is a dimensionless quantity, unless "mem" is a new unit of measure -- assuming you have 4 GB, you need swap for hibernation only).

4. i would like the hibernation option when the install is finished...
    See above. Hibernation and suspend don't always work perfectly due to hardware issues.

5. am i forgetting/missing anything ???
    Not that I can think of.

6. can i get suggestions as to the size of these partitions ???
    2x(RAM amount) for swap used to be recommended ; nowadays 1.5xRAM should be enough. Around 10 GB for / and the system should be more than comfortable. The rest to /home.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

1 - you don't need a /home partition, it can make it easier if you are likely ot need to reinstall. I did to start with now I find it better to have seperate partitions for data.

2 - not necessarily - I use ext4 now, there have been reports of problems with that but I have not had any. Ext3 is the default.

3 & 4 - swap partition needs to be at least the same as RAM to get hibernate

5 - possibly, but it seems to be all you need to know at the moment

6 - swap 4Gb
    / 10Gb
    /home remainder of disk

Have fun

Beans
    Hidden!

I agree with what everybody above has said in general, but would suggest that you forget about ext4 at the moment. There have been reports of problems with it as forestpixie says. A few users have lost all the data in files in directories that had been written to during the session when freezes or crashes occurred, not what you want to happen. The files were still there in theory, but were all 0 bytes, ie empty. The few times I have had freezes with ubuntu, there have never been any signs of anything wrong when restarting, no file loss or corruption,and not even a forced fsck has taken place as a result.

Stick with ext3 for now and see what happens with karmic in October.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; July 13th, 2009 at 05:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I appreciate all the input and b4 i start the re install i have just 1 more question...

is the only reason to have swap to get the hibernate feature ???

if thats the only reason rather than complicate things i think ill pass on the swap partition just to keep things simple...

input ???

thanks...

Beans

some people have said they have run their systems with no swap at all with over 2 gigs of ram but I've noticed on my own machine that occasionally things will go to swap ever with the 2gigs that I have so I always set up a swap partition but thats me and if you arent going to use hibernate then I guess its up to you.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You do need to have a swap partition (well it's possible to make a swapfile similiar to how Windows does it but that's another subject), it's the equivalent of a windows page file, data in ram that is not being accessed will often be placed in swap to make room in ram for more file cache or application data.

I'd like to echo forestpixie's #1 point I prefer to make a separate partition just for data and leave /home on the root partition. Actually now I use a whole separate external disk for my data since I'm on a laptop with limited internal hard disk space.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Swap isn't just for hibernation; I'd suggest at least half of your ram (2 gigs) just to be safe.
    Code:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SPOON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast